Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Tree-Hugger

Once upon a time when I was in high school and obsessed about doing all in my power to improve my getting-into-college-resume, I decided I should probably add a club to my already full schedule of choir, yearbook, honors classes, job, etc. With my little group of friends, we decided on Earth club, and the rest is history. Suddenly I was proudly sporting my "One Earth, One Love, One Problem, One Solution" t-shirts, and had a little bit of superiority about the fact that I was doing a little bit more for the earth than all the other 15 year olds. I attended park clean-ups, helped with the school recycling program, and volunteered at earth-friendly community functions, like the time I dressed up in a fish suit and paraded around as Sally the Salmon at Salmon and Steelhead Days and helped kids paint fish scaled and make fish prints. Now, if that didn't save the earth, I don't know what will.
I have to say, all of the green talk lately is getting to me. When people are pushing Sigg water bottles, now the in thing since Nalgene's are supposedly not the best plastic ever as previously touted, I have to think- why don't I just use a glass at home? Why do I have to use this bottle which proclaims my status as someone "doing my part"? Why do I need to buy reusable bags to use if not to make a statement when I've already been recycling my grocery bags at participating stores (sometimes bins are available at Wal-Mart or Albertson's) and re-using them as garbage can liners or for a plethora of other purposes? Why do I need to live on less when I've been living by the pioneer adage "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" for years and years? It just seems so common sense to me. It doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to upgrading my washer and dryer to a more energy efficient model. It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy good gas mileage just as much as the next guy. But when my hairdresser laughed at me a couple of years ago because I was still refusing to use aerosol hair spray, not knowing that the chemicals I learned about in elementary school that were harming the ozone were no longer used in aerosol cans, I realized that I'm probably already doing my part.
Green was cool to me a long time ago. I think if there's a bandwagon you're going to jump on, this is definitely a good one. But the fact that companies are using it as a tag-line to spur consumers on to buy the next best greenest product really bugs. Be smart, people. It's common sense.
Happy Earth Day.

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Ha. Our post contradict each other a tad and I think that is funny. Usually, trends like this rub me the wrong way, but I think the "green" trend is fabulous! I hope everyone jumps on the bandwagon. It will do the world some good. :)

I also have a Sigg water bottle and swear by it.

I love that you were a 15-year-old tree hugger. I can see that.

Jan said...

I'm with you, Christina. I'm doing what I can and trying to do better -- but you know what? I'm doing OK now.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love it, a new concept... a glass at home. Seriously, when did a glass at home go out of style. I agree with you about the bandwagon bit, but I do think things are moving in the right direction.

Happy Earth Day!

Holly O. said...

Happy Earth Day! I think people actually sometimes do more harm than good trying to go green. And I think this trend is one that can do some good, no matter how annoying it is to listen to people (Hollywood especially) rant and rave about it. I personally did NOT recycle my bags in the bins at the grocery store so reusable bags were a good choice for me!

tara said...

bugs me. bugs me. bugs me.
need I go on?
honestly, all the "green" talk makes me want to drive a hummer and buy dasani by the truck load. sorry, but it BUGS me.

carey said...

Amen, my friend. I couldn't have said it better. I used to be a Greenpeace "save the dolphins" t-shirt wearing gal in HS myself...but sometimes we just need to have common sense!

Sharla said...

Ah, but you were already green! Your fans all know that you're simply a conscientious person. The media blitz is for the vast majority out there who haven't given a thought to how much they're consuming, wasting, etc.

I'm not bothered by the rush to make money off this trend-- because it still means that businesses have to come up with better, more Earth-friendly products-- even if the only green they care about are the Benjamins! :)

I'm with you on kicking it old school with a glass. :)

Melissa E Photography said...

A-MEN! I haven't been able to sort through my thoughts and you stated them perfectly. I agree wholeheartedly!

Suzie said...

well said.

I love all these new products and marketing ploys to get us to use less. HA!

I've had 14 muslin bags for grocery shopping since 1991.
use 'em everytime!