Sunday, October 14, 2007

Recharged

Sunday was so good today. It was fast Sunday, and it was just what the doctor ordered. I was admittedly in a bad way last week. I think the Adversary saw all of my weak spots and was working over time on each of them. I was functioning, but just going through the motions. I felt so helpless/hopeless/frustrated/defeated, and just an over all malaise about life. I felt so stagnant, like I knew what should be happening, but didn't have the energy to make it happen. But, enough about that. On to today!

Testimony meeting was nice. While I was nursing Sam and listening to the testimonies, he fell asleep and I actually got to hold him sleeping for the rest of the meeting and part of Sunday School. This is my baby that only sleeps in his bed or his carrier, so I was in heaven to get a sleepy snuggle from my boy. Pat got called yesterday to sub in gospel principles. He's a ward missionary, so we attend that Sunday school class weekly, and he subs regularly. The lesson for today was on family. He realized that when the lesson was written, the Proclamation had not yet been issued. He found the talk where it was given, and read it to me yesterday while I was making rolls. Both of the kids were asleep. We were both in the kitchen with tears streaming down our faces as we felt the impact of that sacred document and the strength and inspiration it contains. If you've never read the whole talk President Hinckley gave when he issued the Proclamation, I highly recommend it! So, he decided to compare the original lesson to the fullness contained in the Proclamation. I think it went pretty well. Then, we had lesson 19 in Relief Society, also about families. I was reminded of so many things that I need to be working on, so many things that I've been blessed with. It was a great day of reassessing for me, reminding me of who I am, what my purpose is, and what is truly most important. The closing song in Relief Society was "I Am A Child of God." I was a wreck through the whole thing. I kept thinking about how much I sing that song with my kids and what an important lesson I hope they're learning from it. I kept thinking about my own relationship with my Father in Heaven, how personally He knows me, and how He uses trials to succor me and draw me closer to Him and to my Savior. I kept reflecting on the goodly parents that I felt like I kind of missed out on, and how much I want to be a parent kind and dear to my children. I'm so grateful to refocus on Sunday. I wish that I didn't need to refocus all the time, that I could just stay focused and keep my priorities in line, but I think Heavenly Father knew how hard it would be to do that all the time with the outside pressures, and that's part of the reason he gave us Sunday and a way to worship and a chance to rest. I have a renewed energy to bring about good things for myself and my family through the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know the sweetest joys I have experienced and will experience are a result of choices my family and I make to live the gospel, to follow the Savior, to trust the Father, to try. This week, I am determined to try.

4 comments:

tara said...

wow. what a wonderful post christina! I absolutely loved it. thankyou for your testimony. I'm gald you found the picker-upper you were desperately in need of!
you are such a wise girl:)

Jan said...

You are wonderful. I loved reading about your Sunday -- I've had a really kind of down week too. We had Stake Conf. and I played for the choir -- for me, it was a couple of the talks and the closing choir number that really spoke to me.

Mrs. Walker said...

You are such a strong example! I really look up to you!

We're reading this book from Elder Hollan called "Trusting Jesus." It's a fantastic book, and I think you'd really enjoy it.

Sharla said...

Christina, as always, I love your great spirit and insights. Glad you were uplifted-- and that you passed it on! Thanks!