There are many reasons I'm happy to no longer be a part of the dating pool. The greatest reason is that I love my husband, but aside from that, I've had a few hilarious chats with some of my single friends, giving me a renewed contentment with my married status. One of my friends dated a boy all summer. Things seemed to be semi-serious, they'd met each other's families, taken trips, and spent every spare moment together. The problem was, he would be returning to school at Utah State, and she graduated from BYU a few years ago and works in Salt Lake at LDSBC. Things started to get weird due to the upcoming separation, but she thought maybe they'd try to see each other on weekends, or maybe they'd have a clean break up and move on. Instead, he brought her a fish. A salmon. That he caught. And told her maybe he'd see her around. How weird is that? No solid we are together or we aren't, although after the fish, I think she was happy to move on to the other...ahem...fish in the sea. Friend #2 had an even more ridiculous story. She'd been dating this boy who was definitely bad karma, but I always support and listen, voice my opinion when it's asked for, but keep quiet if it's not. So, she called out of the blue (we haven't talked since Sam was born) and we were chatting about how we've been, and I asked if she was still dating the loser-boy, and she said they broke up, so I responded with a cheer. The reason for breaking up is where it gets out of control. The loser-boy, I mean boyfriend, had always been a little controlling, but things got bad when he sent her a list of demands. Some things on the list included writing a 5,000 word essay on graph paper about why she liked him. He also required her to draw a picture of a bird to fit his list of specifications. I honestly didn't know people were out there who were like this. And how that would prove she's good eternal companion material is beyond me. I'm not sure what Pat's bird illustrations look like, nor do I require graph paper when he writes to me (I'm just happy if he's writing anything to me!), but I do know he's a great match for me.
I was the first out of my college friends to get married, and I think they all thought I was a little crazy. Who's laughing now? I am...at *their* crazy dating stories. I hope by now you laughed a little too.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
nothing says "I LOVE YOU" like a stinking dead fish.
what the...
great stories Christina...makes me so blissfully happy to not be SINGLE. Dating is such a crap shoot:)
ooh goodness! that is so freakin' funny. the longer i'm married (going on 10 years now!) the more i realized how CRAZY it is out there and how lucky i am to be on this side of it all.
I would've considered a fish as an offense, but since it was salmon..LOL!
Reading about your poor gal pals makes me want to kiss my hubby..when he gets back :)
Wait-- you mean bird drawings are weird? I guess I should have taken that off of my YW "What I Want in an Eternal Companion" list. ;)
Hilarious, Christina!
LOL!! That reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite. "I caught you a delicious bass..." What a freak!
Marriage is the best!
Honestly, I have told Mark that if he dies before me, I will become a hermit and read and eat and never go anywhere. Dating? I can't even imagine it!
Oh man. SOO glad I'm not in the dating scene anymore. I have a few horror stories myself.
Thanks a bunch for your friends stories though! I love that I can laugh at them. ba ha ha.
I hope you're enjoying this week's Office! I'm sure lovin Creed's hair! And I'm looking forward to a good ole blog about it tomorrow! (And yes, I do require a blog and also a seperate copy on graph paper).
Post a Comment