Wednesday, October 10, 2007
It's Official...
I now have proof that Sam is our boy. After almost 9 months, I finally went and got his birth certificate. I hate that you have to go to the health department or mail your application with copies of all sorts of proofs of ID, and then you have to pay for it. I think it should be first one free, and if you need more copies, then you can pay. I've been thinking about preparedness lately, and this is one thing that I've known I've needed to do, so I'm glad to get it checked off the list. I need to organize all of our important documents like this so we can prove who we are and that our kids belong to us were we ever to get separated from them in an emergency. I've really over the past several months felt more drive to be putting things in order to become more prepared, but sometimes it can really snowball out of control for me when I think about the list of possible tragedies that could occur. I have to try to focus on the task and not the unknown. I'm not usually a big worrier, but it doesn't take too far of a leap for me to become one. So on my agenda this week is to continue to find and organize important family documents such as birth certificates, social security cards, our title to our home, insurance information, bank and investment information, you get the idea. I've been thinking about Elder Oaks' talk and all of the good things that we really have to choose from as members of the church. I want to make a list of some of those things and then try to prioritize what I should be working on. So, this is my preparedness goal for the week. I thought maybe I should try to set one a week, and maybe a family history/temple work goal each week, a family goal each week (encompassing parenting and/or marriage), a personal spiritual goal, and a self-improvement goal (like exercise, learning new domestic skills, etc.). I should start posting them at the start of the week to remind myself. Maybe next week I'll take inventory of food storage. I really don't have a very good idea of what I have and in what quantities. I know I have a full pantry and some shelves in my cold storage room with various goods, but knowing what's on them may be a good step. Hope your week is going strong- half way done!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Great thoughts. I'm feeling like a real slacker these days - my house is a mess, things are not organized and I hate it. Once this foot is all better, I have got to get back on my schedule again. Good for you!
I have also been thinking a lot about our level of preparation and what I can do to be more organized and prepared in case of any emergency. I have loved the case lot sales this past month, and have been able to stock up our food storage. Now, there's just so many other things - big and small to think about.
Thanks for the reminder that the week is 1/2 way done - it feels like it is dragging on forrrrrrrr-evvvvvvverrrrrrrrr. It has to end sometime - right? :)
That's so awesome that you're setting all these goals and stickin' to them! I actually did that with Locke's birth certificate and my copies (Um, DH lost his somewhere, what the heck?!) and put a seperate copy in my IL's safe.
You know what our preparedness plan is? To make it to Draper to the IL's house...it's near to impossible to get an apartment all equipped with food storage and the like. I'm so impressed with you getting all prepared!
great idea! i need to get my bootie in gear on organization, for sure. thanks for the reminder.
That's a great goal to have. I can't stress how important it is to have your documents organized and nearby. Being in the military it's common to have ALL our paperwork on hand and ready.
So funny, because my first son's birth certificate didn't come in until later like dated 3 months after his birth. I can't remember what had happened to the original? I wish I would've journaled it.
Post a Comment