Saturday, October 6, 2007

General Conkerance, Part One....

No, not a typo, Addie kept telling me all day we were watching Conkerance. And half the time, she referred to it as Stake Conkerance, because we had that a few weeks ago, and it's hard for a little mind to differentiate. It's all Conkerance to her! At any rate, I thought I'd share my personal highlights today.

Saturday AM: Can it get any more exciting to have a new apostle and a new member of the first presidency? I am so excited about President Eyring! He's always been one of my favorites- his messages just always seem to strike a chord with me, I love how he shows emotion so readily when speaking, and he's so well-spoken. I think he's going to do an amazing job.

President Packer's talk about the worth of souls was a great one. I think it's important for the church membership to be reminded that it takes all of us serving in the church to make it work, and no one's contributions are worth more than another's. I think this reminder was especially good because especially at conference time, I think it's easy to be in awe of the general authorities and feel so inadequate. This talk was perfect to help combat those feelings of inadequacy. Loved it.

Elder Condie's talk was fantastic! There were a few of my blogging friends I couldn't stop thinking about during this talk. I think we all have our "Rachel" moments when we're going through trials, whether they be the same trials Rachel experienced or not, and I loved how he pointed out "And God remembered Rachel." Even when it seems like our prayers aren't being answered, they are. Such a great reminder!

Those were my two morning faves.

Saturday PM: I thought it was so interesting/awesome that Elders Holland, Ballard, and Nelson all talked about clarifying principles of the gospel while sharing them with others. I think many agree it's nice to see the repetition sometimes in conferences so I realize that a message is really important if it's being discussed so many times (not that they all aren't important, you know what I mean). I think it's great that so much has been addressed about this because of the increasing attention towards the church, as Elder Ballard pointed out, over the past 10 years!

So, what was your favorite talk of the day? If you don't have one yet, don't worry, we can play again tomorrow :)

4 comments:

tara said...

I agree with all of your highlights Christine, except I did miss the first 10 minutes of the morning session...and all the big announcements.

I thought the first half of the afternoon session was sort a "mormonism 101" course. So basic. So simple. So important:)

I always appreciate your take on things Christina. You are a smart one:)

Mrs. Walker said...

I loved Elder Holland's talk. It was so great. I love hearing those bold statements that reassure me that we are not ashamed of what we believe, or our past, or what will happen in the future. So comforting!

Lupe said...

I'm so looking forward to watchng the conference. Japan gets it a few weeks afterwards. Bummer! Thank you for your insights on 'Conkerance' :) Cute Addie!!

Jan said...

I love Elder Eyring -- he is so tender and so unashamed of his feelings showing - -love that. I really enjoyed your insights - -thanks for sharing!