Today it seemed like I was trying to prove the theories about things in the universe being brought into balance. For every good thing that happened, there was a bad one right behind it. Let me share a couple of examples.
Good Thing: Addie finally went #2 in the potty! A few tears were shed, but she hasn't done this since her first time using the potty a couple months ago! Hooray!
Bad Thing: I went to get Addie a treat for using the potty. I threw some trash in the garbage can in my pantry, and somehow slammed the pantry door on my nose. I've always been self-conscious about the size, and today's maneuver which has produced quite the swelling hasn't done anything for my self-esteem.
Good Thing: We went to IKEA to pick up some jars to take to my friend Amy who visited a few weeks ago, and who we're staying with when we go to Idaho. We sat down to enjoy a delicious lunch of meatballs and lingonberry juice.
Bad Thing: Addie spills her lingonberry juice all over the table, my pant leg, my shoe, my foot. And yet one more way IKEA keeps the cost down is to provide totally worthless napkins, requiring no less than 50 to clean up the afore-mentioned spill.
Good Thing: Sam learned to crawl yesterday! He finally figured out crawling in the more "traditional" way, that is, on hands and knees.
Bad Thing: Sam screams the whole time he is crawling. He hates it. It's like he's being punished the whole time he's doing it. What a bad mom I must be, expecting my child to move in such a way :)
I suppose I broke even today. There were some good things, balanced by some bad ones. But in a way, all I can see is the sticky jeans/shoes. I can't see past the end of my swollen nose, so to speak, to acknowledge the blessings. I should work on that tonight. Right now, the glass is feeling half empty (but I guess that's an improvement on all the way empty as Addie successfully showed earlier today). No, I'm really ok, friends, just feeling a little cheeky.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Man, we should get together and have glamor shots then! With my swollen cheek and your swollen nose, how could we NOT look like the most gorgeous gals in the universe?! My cheek has turned this illustrius shade of yellowish green that comes after a bruise has fully ripened. How sexy is that?
When I feel down, I usually think about peanut butter M&Ms. That restores order to the universe for me. God so loved the world that he provided this perfect balance of peanut butter and chocolate.
Also on the plus side, you are one awesome mom for being so productive today! Kudos to you for getting jars from Ikea! Man, I miss that place!
Hooray for Addie and her potty training!!
I am a firm believer of the balance phenomenon as well. Breaking even is the perfect word for it. I like the way you think! (I miss IKEA meatballs!!)
Your post is reminding me of the Seinfeld episode where he always breaks even. Of course, that's how you can tell that life is going well--when you can relate it back to Seinfeld. ;)
Sticky pants and swollen nose-- you gave me a good giggle today!
Breaking even is OK -- much better than ending up in the minus column! You're doing great -- it's a matter of hanging in there and just continuing on. You're awesome.
i had your exact experience last time i went to ikea! seriously, zillions of napkins!!! good times, as it always is with kids.
Post a Comment