I thought I'd share a few thoughts about the Sunday sessions. The kids were fairly rambunctious during the morning session, so half way through we got in the car to go for a drive and listen. I figured that way Sam would fall asleep, Addie would be distracted, and maybe I could actually hear what was being said :)
Sunday AM: This session left me with a lot of thoughts on what to do to be a better mom. I loved President Eyring's talk and the part when he shared "I am not giving you these experiences for yourself." I really hope to start writing down daily occurrences that allow me to see the hand of God at work in my life. I'm yet to decide if I'm going to blog it or journal it. I'm excited for the increased measure of gratitude and sensitivity to the Spirit that I hope will come through taking this challenge. Sister Beck's talk was great. I did feel a little overwhelmed when she talked about how we should do less- I often think about my desires in this area, but also the feelings I have that I'm not totally there yet. I'm excited to reread this one.
Sunday PM: I've always loved Elder Oaks, and his words were great once again. He was the first apostle I met when I was 12. He was at a multi-regional conference in Pennsylvania. He did a morning session just for youth before the larger conference. After the conference, I went up to shake his hand and told him how much I enjoyed his talk earlier that morning. He said "that means a lot to me, especially coming from a beautiful young lady like you." His words came at a time in my life when I certainly didn't feel beautiful, and I was having the worst school year in my brief history of time. Needless to say, he's been one of my favorites ever since. But back to his talk. I often find myself in the Mary/Martha struggle. I know that I'm very guilty of not choosing what's best, only what's good or better a lot of the time. There are so many best things we can engage in, and I'm hoping to devote more time to those things.
Conference is such a blessing because it always invokes a spirit of change in me. I'm always reminded of things I can improve upon. I'm always content with the sweet truths of the gospel taught once again. I'm always blessed when I listen, but more blessed when I change and really implement what's been taught. President Harold B. Lee said: “As the Latter-day Saints go home from this conference, it would be well if they consider seriously the importance of taking with them the report of this conference and let it be the guide to their walk and talk during the next six months." Ever since I heard that quote while in college, I've thought a lot more about making the principles of conference my walk and my talk. I'll be working on that again after this conference. I hope you will too!
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You picked the very same talks I did as favorites! I loved them too and for the same reasons. I really think Conference helps with a change of heart in all of us.
Post a Comment