Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink...

Have you ever done something that caused big problems, but the only person you had to blame was yourself? That was my day yesterday. I was looking up a recipe, when suddenly I turned to see almost an inch of water covering my kitchen floor. I realize it's also in my laundry room, and thought yay, maybe I'll get the new washer I'm needing. No, this was self-induced. I was doing laundry all day, and decided I needed to soak some of the kids' clothes to aid in stain removal. I had turned on the laundry sink, and then Sam started crying. I went to get him and completely forgot about the laundry sink. By the time I realized it, I had filled my laundry room, kitchen, and water went through the air ducts and poured into part of my basement. What a nightmare! Addie had just woken up, so I called my SIL and ran the kids over there so I could work on the disaster. I called Patrick and told him to come home from work, and then called my neighbors to see if they had a shop vac I could use. Luckily, the did and brought it over. The little girl at that house ran and told our other neighbors, so they showed up with tons of towels ready to help. Water had gotten so many places we pulled out the washer, dryer, fridge, and stove just to get it all up. One neighbor helped Pat drill holes in the sub-floor and the air ducts to drain more water. I was so relieved that within about 1 1/2 hours, we were done! The worst part is that it got under my island, but there's no way for us to get under the island, so water just keeps seeping out. We ended up eating dinner at my SIL's. When we got there, Sam had screamed almost the whole time. I felt terrible that I had dumped him on her and then he was so unhappy. I think I felt the worst because so many people helped (paid) all because of my carelessness. So Mel, I can relate to your problem of floods, but I did it to myself! AARGH!
Here's hoping that today is better than yesterday!

4 comments:

jeremyandleslie said...

Wow, yesterday was just a lousy day all the way around....holy cow, I can't believe all the water you had! I"m so sorry! I'm glad you're neighbors were so helpful - that is great! You must have good neighbor karma! I'm glad you got most of it cleaned up - hopefully the water won't continue to seep out from anywhere else.
I think you need to go shopping some more to make up for yesterday!

House of Joy said...

Fun catching up on your blog!!!

1. You will have to post pics of your sewing projects!!

2. You are such a great mom…Trust me…teenagers and babies are alike…they both throw big fits when they don’t get what they want…

3. I almost cried when I read about you dreading your children growing up…So true…I can remember being a young mother and my greatest dream was that some day..I could put my scissors away and find them later in the same spot…

4. Consider it shopping therapy…A little splurge now and then helps keep us sane…Well, sort of sane…Well, as sane as a sleep deprived mother of young children can be…

5. Ugh!!! Oh my goodness..What a mess!!! So glad you had help cleaning that all up……Can’t wait to share that story with my hubby…I am so sorry…but I know it will make him laugh….

6. Glad you posted your menu…Now I feel inspired to cook dinner…Yummy!!!
Amen Leslie..Feltc you need to go buy chocolate and a good book...

Lupe said...

That is something I would do too! You've got great friends and family to help you with that mess!

Melissa E Photography said...

OH NO! That stinks! I'm so glad you had neighbors who could help you. I hope your day gets better!