Friday, August 10, 2007

The latest...

So, a quick thanks to my newest blog friends who dared take the challenge and post on my blog. I'll get around to adding you to the list soon. Seriously, though, I am excited!

In other news, Patrick came home from work early yesterday with the somewhat unfortunate news that he lost his job. In some ways, it was an answer to prayers, and I've really been feeling a mix of emotions, but gratitude is a big one. He's been unhappy there for a long time (like probably since last fall) and has turned down a few offers in the past few months, so he's already been looking around. There really were a lot of factors that went into all of this. In so many ways I feel relief- relief that my husband won't come home stressed everyday because he's hating his job and that he doesn't have to wake up everyday and go to a job he hates! I'd say I'm a pretty optimistic person (with a definite sarcastic vein that I try to overcome), but I think I need to make a list of all the reasons this is a good thing for us:
1. Quality (and quantity!) family time that we've missed with an overworked husband/dad.
2. No more 30 minute each way commute (at least for now).
3. We finally have time to get around to house projects that we haven't had time for. Maybe I should start unpacking some more boxes from when we moved in....almost 2 years ago... We already started on this one tonight with some serious weed pulling in what will someday be our garden.
4. I can go to the store by myself if I so desire!
5. Patrick can find a job that he actually enjoys doing. I really do feel good about this. We've been feeling the need to make a change for a while, but I've never met anyone more loyal than my husband, and he really felt guilty when he'd think about quitting. This way, he has no guilt, and can move on. He's also extremely talented in his field. When I say he's in the computer industry, think geek. Geek is good in this realm. I really don't think he'll have trouble finding work, he's at the point in his career that we feel we can be a little bit selective in what we're wanting, and that is a great feeling.
6. We have enough savings to make it for a little while, and won't (hopefully) be left in ruins. We will, however, have to curb our spending in ways we probably should anyway (yes, no more big shopping sprees for a bit). It will force me to stick to my menus and budget- a definite good thing to learn!
7. We have no schedule! Yes, he'll be looking for a job and hopefully interviewing a lot of the time, but we can go to the park, the pool, the library, a picnic, a hike, whenever we want!
8. We can truly magnify our callings right now. There are no excuses to hold us back from giving great amounts of service. We also have more time to devote to attending the temple, reading our scriptures, and other things we should be doing but may not always be doing with the greatest diligence.
9. We will grow closer as a couple and a family. Not only because we'll be spending more time together, but also because we'll be relying more on each other.
10. We will be embracing change and the blessings that come from positive changes.

When he got home yesterday, I was completely shocked, but also extremely angry at his boss. I still am, and it comes in waves, but I'm doing much better. I had a vivid dream last night that his boss's family needed a place to stay and asked to come stay at our house. We kind of avoided each other in the house, until they were leaving in the morning, and I totally lit into his boss about what a big jerk he was, etc. I could recall our conversation so clearly. Then, I started hitting him over and over and he was just standing there. I think I realized upon waking up and reflecting on it that being angry really only hurts myself, not him at all. I've learned this lesson before in my life, but it's good to learn it again. I've felt very vindictive in this situation, and it really hasn't been pretty. But I'm praying for peace and calm. I'm really trying to get past what's happened, and just focus on what's ahead and enjoying this time we have to take a break and spend time together. So please, don't worry about us. Really, we'll be fine. This is a trial and a blessing all rolled into one, but then, isn't it really always like that? Thanks for listening/reading. I'll keep you posted. Oh, and another silver lining is that with Pat home, Addie took a nap today ;)

8 comments:

Lupe said...

I really like your positive attitude. I pray that your husband will find a job that he will enjoy. In the mean time, have fun with your hubby at home!

jeremyandleslie said...

Wow, by the end of that I was convinced that Jeremy losing his job might be a good thing too! Then I started paying bills and got a reality check! Seriously though, your positive attitude is so great. I'm way impressed. I have nightmares already about the day that Jeremy walks through the door saying he lost his job. Glug.. Scares me to pieces. I hope he'll be able to find something fabulous soon and that he'll be happy and love his new job! He must be amazing at what he does if he's had so many offers!
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hope he finds something soon and in the meantime you will have a fab time with no schedules, getting your honey do's taken care of and saving money on gas from him not having to commute!

Melissa E Photography said...

Oh WOW! I can't believe he lost his job! But I sure does stink when your hubby is unhappy at work. No amount of money is worth an overworked hubby! Your attitude is great. It looks like you and I will be ordering off of the kids meal this week! HAHA!

I hope a better job offer comes your way soon!

Amy said...

I'm so sorry your DH lost his job! But amazed at your attitude!! Good for you for having a positive outlook!

Enjoy your time together and make some great memories! :)

-- Daisy (aka Amy)

House of Joy said...

You are so awesome!!!

You set a great example for all of us..

Lots of prayers going your way...

Big hug..

n8'swife said...

I am also impressed with your attitude!! Good luck on the hunt and the time spend with hubby/daddy!

kristin said...

Wow great attitude! I hope that this cloud has a huge ol' silver lining!

(BTW, I am a blog stalker too! That's how I found yours. :) )

Kristin (aka kiwi_spice on MC)