Thursday, March 13, 2008

No Scale Love

Although I'm "petite", I wouldn't consider myself small. I've had periods of my life as someone small, and I'm not currently in one of them. I'd like to be, though. I've gone for a few more walks with my kids. Sam lost a sock on one. Today it seems like the planets are aligning to make me take stock of my body.
First, I had my "annual" exam today. I had to step on a scale, and know that it was probably accurate as opposed to my bathroom scale that I'm always giving myself the benefit of the doubt with. I figure bathroom scales aren't always that accurate. But today at the doctors office, I realized my home scale is indeed pretty accurate. Bad news.
Second, I read Hannah's post about her first 5k. My first was last summer for my friend's wedding. They held their own 5k the day of the wedding entitled "Fit to Be Tied." I always love a clever catch phrase, and this one didn't disappoint. I had run further distances before, but not for a long time, so I was happy I completed this one. I walked the first half and then ran the rest of the way. It felt great!
Third, I realized that this is about the weight I was when I got pregnant with Addie. And it made for a terrible pregnancy. I was at least 15 pounds lighter when I got pregnant with Sam, and it made the biggest difference! We're not planning on a baby anytime soon, but I've realized that when we do feel it's time again, I don't want to have to put it off to feel healthier before I'm ready. I want to feel ready physically for whenever it is that I feel ready spiritually.
I used to run. When in high school, I took various summer school classes to make room for electives/seminary/AP classes in my schedule. P.E. was one of the classes I opted for in summer school, and since it was 4 hours every morning for a month to complete one semester worth of credit, I did it twice, spread out over two summers, to fulfill my P.E. requirements. Because the class was for 4 hours, it was broken down into 4 1-hour segments, rotating between 4 different teachers, and one hour was devoted to running. By the end of each session I was running up to 5 or 6 miles at a time. I experienced the runners high and really enjoyed it- quite a feat for someone without an ounce of athleticism or coordination.
I loved running again after my freshman year of college. I had definitely put on the freshman 15 and needed to get back into shape, and I enjoyed running in the warm summer evenings. Until I broke my foot on my birthday while on a trip back to Utah.
Since then, I've had a love/hate relationship with running. I'm really hoping to get back into it and cross the threshold back into loving running. Maybe I'll even get inspired like Hannah and sign up for a 5k. There's one really close to me in a picturesque location in May. If I start now, I think I could do it. I need to shed the extra 15 to 20 pounds I'm hanging on to post-Sam. It's been almost 14 months, I think it's time to give them the boot.

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Sign up with me, please!

Unknown said...

i hear you, i hear you! those extra pounds are a bummer. i'd like to give mine the boot, too.

carey said...

Well, you look great to me. :) I know what you mean though. I'm trying to get motivated to start back up again too. I've made two half-hearted attempts this week and it's been a sad sight, but at least I've tried! Start slow, you'll get there!!!

Jan said...

I used to be a runner too and I miss it. With the foot issues now though, I don't expect to get back to is anytime soon -- that 'runner's high' is wonderful. I just need to start walking -- maybe that's a good way for both of us to get going again.

Sharla said...

Oooh, maybe the combined 5k inspiration of you and Hannah would get me to give it another go... of course, that's a big maybe!

Alison said...

C, you look great. Honestly. But I certainly know how you feel. I would have thought that getting married would be the ultimate motivation for losing weight...but I haven't lost a single pound since we've been engaged! Yikes! But I have 8 weeks to go so I'm going to give it my all :) My problem is that I eat enough food to make up for the 1-1.5 hours I work out every day. I gotta figure somthing out. I'll keep you posted :) I was laughing about the broken foot as I remember being with you when it happened! Oh, that was bad day... Love you girl!

kristin said...

You motivate me! I also used to run all the time, but my bum knee gives me a love/hate relationship too.

I am not looking forward to jumping on a scale after this baby is born. So far, I've only gained 15 pounds, but I still have a trimester to go. :(