Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Need a New Day

I'm ready for this one to be over. Man oh man, I've been unbearable. Well, my kids have been unbearable, which has made me unbearable, and we just kind of continue to escalate with each other. I'm remembering so clearly how hard this age/stage was for me with Addie. And now Sam is right in the middle of it. I'm tired of piles of unrolled toilet paper. Splashes in toilet water. Every book off the shelf, every movie out of the drawer, every pot, every pan, every piece of tupperware out of it's respective cupboard. He grins while he does it, and while he's just so dang cute, it's still so tiresome. Addie has been out of sorts lately too. Lots of sass. Not lots of obeying. Early bedtimes because she's not eating dinner. So demanding for things she wants instead of using the manners we've worked hard at. Pushing/yelling at/hitting Sam when he comes within a 2 foot radius of her. Wow, do I sound whiney enough?

I truly love my kids. But I think we all have spring fever. We have a busy week ahead, but I hope some of it will involve putting on sweaters and heading outside, because we're driving each other crazy. Families teach us oh so much. I have so much to learn. I have little to be proud of today as a parent as far as how I've treated my kids. I have oh so so much to learn.

I found a little gem of an article while perusing the conference issue this past week. It was probably the last article/talk written by President Faust, and they included it in the conference issue. Although much of it deals with addiction, the article entitled The Power to Change really can apply to all of us. This quote sticks out to me today:

"Each one of us has been given the power to change his or her life. As part of the Lord’s great plan of happiness, we have individual agency to make decisions. We can decide to do better and to be better. In some ways all of us need to change; that is, some of us need to be more kind at home, less selfish, better listeners, and more considerate in the way we treat others." (I added the italics and the bold- the parts that really registered with me)

I am grateful for the power to change. I am ready to embrace a new day tomorrow. Monday is full of possibilities and full of hope and full of exactly what I fill it with- I need to fill it with good things. I'm ready to embrace Monday for the beauty contained in a new week instead of the drudgery I sometimes greet it with.

12 comments:

Holly O. said...

Amen.

Melissa E Photography said...

Glad I'm not the only one who goes through these days! I like your perspective on it. I so empathize with what you're going through with Sam. Park was the worst!

You, Hannah and I need another IM date.

Lupe said...

Thanks for the reminder of change. I think we're all going through spring fever! HUGS!

jeremyandleslie said...

Great Reminder! We're going through all sorts of fun around here as well...ugh.... I needed that quote!

Jan said...

Great thoughts. THanks for sharing. I'm out of sorts too and I just need to get past it.

Sharla said...

Christina, you're my go-to girl when it comes to the inspirational boost. Hey, you're like the caffiene of inspiration! ;)

Mrs. Walker said...

Dude, I'm with you! But I need a new month! And Locke is in everything too, just now I've pulled him out of the garbage, the clothes pile, and all the decorations the neighbors have up.

kristin said...

what a great post Christina! You are my inspiration whenever I am feeling down and outs - I look to your example and see how I can deal with my situation better. :)

Jana said...

I felt the same exact way about my Sunday. I was a big grump to Lily (granted- she was out of control) but still, I hate when I'm like that!

100 Percent Cottam said...

great quote! i so hear you, girl! some days are just like that...

Suzie said...

love this. thanks for the boost!

Heather said...

I SO needed to hear that today... that's right. thanks.