This weekend has been so spiritually quenching I honestly didn't know I was thirsty until I was filled. Yesterday morning our old stake invited us back since our ward was moved to another stake two weeks ago for stake women's conference. In January stake leaders asked us to start preparing for the conference by reading the most recent conference edition of the Ensign cover to cover. That exercise in and of itself was a great boost, but I really do think it helped prepare us for the presentations we participated in yesterday. The main speakers at the conference were church service missionaries who work with the church's addiction recovery program along with a few sisters who are recovering addicts. My eyes were open to the pain of addiction and the plague that it truly is on the earth today. The stake Relief Society president said that if we ever wanted to feel an abundance of the Spirit we should attend one of the church's addiction recovery meetings, and after yesterday, I have no doubt. The missionaries who shared experiences as well as those in the program were so full of the Spirit. The part that affected me the most was the reminder I was given of the power of the Atonement. To hear sisters talk about hitting rock bottom and rebuilding their life was such a testament of the Atonement to me. Any thoughts of judgment were gone. Any doubts of how they could come so far were gone. The love and hope and faith contained in the Atonement were so palpable as we were able to see it in action. There was truly no other way for these sisters to get to where they were than through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I can tend to be pretty hard-nosed and tough at things like this, but I couldn't hold back my emotions throughout the presentation. I suddenly had such a clear understanding of some people in my life. I felt in a small way the pains that the sisters who shared were feeling, and I mourned for the pain that so many have felt as their agency has been robbed through addiction. I don't know if I've ever left a meeting feeling more desire to love those around me, to serve in a very real and involved way, and to use the Atonement more in my life.
Today the theme of our ward conference was also the Atonement. I think I've learned more in this weekend about the Atonement than I have in a long time. In our combined Priesthood/Relief Society Meeting, we discussed the parable of the prodigal son and how it relates to the Atonement. It really is two stories, the first discussing the son who squanders his inheritance, or in other words leaves the gospel, and then returns. The verse in Luke 15:20 when he returns is so beautiful and symbolic.
And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.
His Father didn't just rejoice when the son got to the house, but as soon as he saw him on his way back, he ran to him and welcomed him back. Repentance is such a miracle. The love of our Heavenly Father and Savior is beyond comprehension.
The second story contained in the parable is one that reflects my attitudes all too often, the story of the older son who is angry when the father rejoices over the return of his brother. It seems so natural for those feelings of anger to come to the older brother and to all of us. We all feel that way when we perceive we've been wronged. Really, he is choosing to be angry and rationalizing the reasons his feelings are justified. How often do we fall into that trap?
I feel like this post is more for me today than for anyone reading it, but I needed to reflect on the feelings for my Savior which have my heart so full. I'm so grateful for this Easter season and the chance to reflect on my Savior. I have so much to learn about his sacrifice for me and for all of us, and I need to spend more time focused on the Savior. Everything else about the gospel is just an appendage to our testimony of the Savior, according to Joseph Smith. There is so much about the gospel that I love, and I think sometimes I forget, or maybe just neglect that He is who it is all about. I hope to spend more time following the counsel of 2 Nephi 25:26,
And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.
I don't want my children to ever doubt that Jesus Christ and His gospel are the foundation of our family. I think I just planned FHE for tomorrow. Happy Sunday.

7 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing that! Really beautiful. I don't think I've really ever caught that scripture in Luke but it brought tears to my eyes to read it.
A very sincere post. One that will be cherished by your grandchildren someday I'm sure. Wise & sincere.
I also had to do some research to find out about this program. It is amazing. Changing lives everyday.
Our church never ceases to amaze me.
what a great post! I loved your testimony. Yesterday, our SS class (we teach marriage & family relationships) also talked a lot about the parable of the prodigal son. What a beautiful set of scriptures! I love both of the parts that you pointed out - I too can relate much more to the jealous brother.
Many thanks again for sharing!
Thank you for your thoughts and your words. They were beautiful -- and I loved your feelings. I'm filled with gratitude right now too for the Atonement -- what a wonderful time of year. We should have this gratitude always but it's sure easier to have it in our hearts at Easter, isn't it? Thanks for sharing -- loved it all.
Great post! I need to use it more in my life too.
BTW, that pizzeria post made my mouth water. :)
What powerful thoughts. Thank you so much for sharing them!
Thanks Christina,
This has been on my mind a lot lately too, though not so defined. Your post helped me organize my thoughts as I prepare to teach this Sunday... it was no accident I came upon it today- thank you :)
Post a Comment