Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dad's Day?

Yesterday, like any good mom of a pre-school aged child, I tried to communicate to Addie that it was a holiday. As we got dressed we made sure we were all wearing green. Throughout the day Addie kept drawing pictures of "those rocks" referring to shamrocks. We found a pattern game with shamrocks and rainbows and leprechauns and pots of gold and had fun arranging the pieces into patterns after she colored them. My favorite part of the day was when I told her that the name of the holiday was St. Patrick's Day, she looked at me and asked "so it's Dad's day?" How could I argue with that, since Dad is indeed Patrick. I wish I'd had more time to plan with this spin on the holiday, but I think next year special preparations will be made so we can celebrate St. Patrick's Day/Dad's Day. When does he not deserve a little extra family love? I think it will be a fun spin on the tradition for us.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I LOVE it when they say things like this... like "well obviously if his name is patrick it must mean we are talking about him!" You are gonna have fun with that one:)

Hannah said...

How cute! I am sure Patrick wont feel bad about having a day dedicated to him. :)

Unknown said...

it has been confirmed that i'm a "bad mom", as i made no effort to make st. patrick's day into anything at all around here. awww, crap. well, i had my suspicions! :)

that's such a cute story. addie is hilarious.

Jan said...

Dad's Day -- I love it. How cute is that? I'm such a dork that I didn't even think to wear green. Duh.

tiburon said...

That is so cute! I think you should make it Dad's Day for sure.

marta said...

that is so sweet. what a doll. why not!? i bet your hubby loved that!