Sunday, February 10, 2008

Leaving on a Jet Plane...


This morning Pat left for his week-long jaunt to New Jersey. We are not a couple who's used to being apart. I'm not a mom who is used to a traveling dad. My kids are not accustomed to not seeing their dad everyday.
Addie came in this morning for her morning cuddles and Pat was getting ready to go. She asked him if he was going to work, and he told her that he had to go on his trip. Her reply was "I don't want you to go on your trip because I very very love you, Dad." I couldn't hold back the tears. I know that probably seems so sappy, but to hear her verbalize what I was feeling was just so sad. I realized that although I've been focusing on how hard this will be for me to have him gone and not have the help that I'm used to, it will be equally hard for my kids to not have their dad around. I understand time and know when he's coming back- a concept they can't grasp yet. They just know that he's gone.
I'm trying to make plans to keep myself occupied while he's gone. I'd love to do some major house projects and have him return to a house so clean and organized he barely recognizes it. We'll see how much I accomplish, or if survival mode is the way it goes.
He hasn't been gone 2 hours yet and I already miss him terribly. Absence does make the heart grow fonder. It's going to be a long week.

14 comments:

Mrs. Walker said...

Man that really stinks! I hope he has a good time on his trip, and that you and the kids can really enjoy him when he gets back!

Holly O. said...

Having him gone is something you don't want to get too used to. Stick with survival mode. Go out to eat with the kids. Try to enjoy your week alone. Then clean like a mad woman the day he gets home...that is what I do.

Jan said...

Ah, how sweet is that. "I very very love you, Dad!" I love it. Hope the time flies!

Hannah said...

That is so hard! Every year, my husband and father go on a fishing trip together. I hate it! I hate sleeping alone and I hate taking care of the kids by myself.

I am at your beckon call. If you want me to come over one night to watch a movie after the kids are in bed...or if you need a dinner or outing companion...let me know! I just finished most of my work, so I am free!

By the way...I'll be offended if you don't call me to hang out with you...

Suzie said...

I do not enjoy more than two days without my hubby home. I do like two days though, I get so much done.

Try to enjoy it. Take a cooking break, organize your heart out and surprise him!
A single mom's life is something I never want to endure.

your daughter's words were so, so precious.
it'll probably be harder on your honey.

tiburon said...

Awww I totally know how you feel. Traveling hubbies suck! I hope you make it through the week. Just don't neglect your blogging :)

Unknown said...

that's so sweet. you'll get used to having him gone some. chris isn't gone too much, once a month for a few days. i usually go on vacation during those days. we eat peanut butter & jelly for dinner. the house never gets cleaned. i stay up half the night reading. it's kind of nice! as long as it's short.

Melissa E Photography said...

I agree with Hannah. I will be offended if I don't get a call from you! ;)

A week is rough. Aaron works one swing shift and I start going crazy.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I can ever get used to my Hubby being gone. I still hate it everytime.

Pedaling said...

i very very love you - so sweet.

I feel like suzie, don't like it for more than a few days - but i do get tons done and just love him to pieces when he returns.

kristin said...

I hate being away from my husband too. It stinks. Good luck this week - I hope you are able to be mega-productive and get all the things done that you want to. Make it a fun week!

Lupe said...

Addie is so sweet. Just keep your chin up and keep busy. It will make your week fly by and he'll be home! HUGS!

Hayley said...

i'm sorry you're having to survive this week - not fun. that was a sweet post though! "i very very love you, dad!" ahhhhh

tara said...

oh my. that is TOOO sweet:)

I just survived 10 days ALONE. It's not fun, I'll be honest. BUT, the plus side is that he will CHERISH you when he gets home. Relax a bit and READ and watch whatever you want to while he's gone. I can't sleep the first few nights so I'm a book-a-holic when he travels.
GOOD LUCK CHRISTINA!!!