Thursday, February 7, 2008

Grown-Up Tastes

When I was young I had very particular tastes. Some may have called me picky. (Some being my mom, my dad, my grandparents, aunts and uncles, but who's counting?) As I have gotten older and more "mature" I've opened my eyes to many things I never would've dreamed of as a child.
  • I love to wear turtlenecks. I wouldn't have been caught dead in a turtleneck until college, but then I realized my neck was cold and a turtleneck sweater was the perfect way to warm it up.
  • I hated soup as a kid. I could never understand how liquid could constitute dinner and actually be filling or tasty. Now I make soup at least once a week, multiple varieties, and it's one of my favorite comfort foods.
  • Another hate on my childhood hit list was squash. As an adult, I get serious cravings for it. Maybe I'm trying to make up for my lack of squash consumption early in life.
  • I used to detest pink. I wanted nothing to do with anything I perceived to be too girly, frilly, lacey, ruffley, you get the picture. And while I do still appreciate an understated feminine dress as opposed to one decked out in frills and lace, I have decided that pink is not so bad. I may go so far as to say that I even like it. And I love dressing my own daughter in it (who luckily doesn't have too many opinions yet about what she wears). I've embraced femininity. Whod'a thunk?
I'd like to think that my tasted have improved as I've aged. I hope that they will continue to do so. In the mean time, I'm glad that I've been able to open myself up some as I attempt to raise less-picky children. Tonight they ate beef stew for dinner. As long as some days seem, I'm glad I'm not fighting battles over soup.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how that happens. Maybe as we age we can just appreciate things more.

Sharla said...

Get this--how about squash in your soup? Did I just blow your mind? :)

So glad you've converted to turtlenecks-- I love them on those days when I'm feeling artsy and beatnik-ish. And yes, I do have those days.

tiburon said...

I could have written this post - without the squash. I was especially a big pink hater. Then I had 3 girls! Funny how things change :)

Jan said...

I wasn't a soup fan as a kid either -- I'm still fairly picky about what kind I will eat. But if it's one I like, I could eat it all day.

Holly O. said...

I am still picky and I hate it. No ketchup. No onions. No mayo. No fish. I wish I was more adult.

tara said...

isn't holly the WORST most boring eater ever? :)

kids can't like squash. It would make the powers that be (parents) heads explode.

I'm a pink convert too. Even for my girls. I used to loathe it for being so obviously GIRLIE. Now I'm a lover.

Unknown said...

you need those turtlenecks in that cold utah air! brrrr!

carey said...

Oh, I love your new banner!!! So cute!

I wish you could convert me over to turtlenecks. I love how they look, but I get itchy neck syndrome within 5 minutes of putting them on.

Oh, and I'm with you on the pink thing. Still not totally convinced, but getting there (I think I own maybe one pink thing...). Wow, sorry for the novel.

Lupe said...

I'm learning too! I'm so relieved to know we still have time to grow up! As an adult I learned to like Mexican food...go figure?

Your blog layout is darling!