
The Prize Winner of Defiance Ohio was the latest book group pick, and I must give it a rave review. It's a true story about a woman living in Ohio who has 10 children and an alcoholic husband. She enters jingle contests during the contesting era of the 50s and 60s, and her clever ways win her many a prize that help to support her family while her husband drinks away his pay checks. The resourcefulness demonstrated by Evelyn, the mother, is unparalleled. As a history major, I was really digging on this piece of Americana. It's such a great look at life during the June Cleaver period. I am so glad in so many ways that I am a mother today instead of then! A fantastic time was had by all who attended last night. We lingered and visited until 10- kinda' late for an Enrichment activity, but we were having such fun!
Today is a busy day. I have visiting teaching (I can't believe it's this late in the month before I'm getting it done!), a meeting tonight to revise the routes so we can pass them out Sunday, and I'm watching Beatrice and Henry so Matt and Chrissy can do a sealing assignment this afternoon. Pat is still fighting this cold, and it's hitting him hard. We're all still sniffling and scratchy-throated, but he sounds doubly terrible. I'm kind of hoping he'll take the day off from contracting to focus on getting better.
Yesterday I re-found a blog I'd stumbled upon months ago while looking for visiting teaching stuff. It's called Everything is Pink, and after reading some of her posts yesterday, I totally am aspiring to be like this bloggess (my newly coined term for blogging goddess). I even emailed her to share a good visiting teaching story, so I'm excited to see if I hear back from her. It made me realize that there's a lot I could do with my blog, with my time, with my talents, with my energies. So maybe someday, when I feel like I have some extra time, talents, and energy, my blog will change directions a little. It's definitely something I'm thinking about. It's sometimes hard for me to figure out what Heavenly Father wants for me versus what I want for myself. And maybe He doesn't really care about my blogging, but maybe He's happy that I've gained friendships through this experience, and maybe I can be an example to the random readers who stumble upon it and have never even heard of the gospel. Who knows, who knows. Maybe He's just happy I'm doing some sort of journaling ;).
I'd better go get ready for my busy day. My apologies for the randomness of this post. Thanks for wading through my shallow stream of consciousness :)

5 comments:
I also love that blog! I think it is such a wonderful idea to use blogging to spread goodness.
That book sounds great! I think I'll put it on reserve right now and read it soon. Thanks for the good recommendation.
Have a great day, and thanks for being so uplifting and inspiring and wonderful. :D
This book looks like something I want to read. Thanks for the tip. Also -- you really already are an inspiration to many -- thank you for that too.
Christina-- I'm supposed to be starting up our little Enrichment book club soon-- maybe I'll have to float this book as an idea. It can be so hard to find something everyone wants to read!
By the way-- I stole from you in my blog today... :)
Thanks for the heads up on the book. We'll be starting a book club for Enrichment also.
Thanks for the VT bloggess, I'll check her out as well. Especially since we've got an VT conference coming up.
this was our book club book a month or 2 back. i was out of town that week and didn't get to reading it, but it's on my list! it looks like lots o' fun!
Post a Comment