Friday, September 28, 2007

"I'm Not Superstitious...

just a little stitious." This was one of the many highlights of last night's episode of The Office. I was all around giddy yesterday knowing it was going to be on. I'd wanted to have a premiere party I was so excited, but then decided I should watch it by myself so I wasn't interrupted. This show is so hilarious to me. I love that dry documentary style humor. I love Best in Show. I love A Mighty Wind. Yes, Sharla, I did catch Arrested Development a few times, but not as often as I'd hoped to before it was off the air! But enough of my comical preferences.

I did hear back from Kristi, the girl from Everything is Pink. She sent a great e-mail, and I was really glad I'd e-mailed her. One of her links asks for people to share good visiting teaching stories, so I sent her this one: "It's not really my story, but belongs to my current visiting teaching companion (K). When K was a teen, about 13 years ago, she became inactive. She wasn't making the best choices, got married to an inactive member, and continued living her life. About 4 or 5 years ago, a sister in our ward had a writing route where she wrote letters to sisters who weren't active or welcoming to visiting teachers. She wrote letters to K every month on cute paper putting that months message into her own words, bearing her testimony of it, and checking up on her. K saved every letter. After she had her first baby, and spurred on by the messages she'd been reading for the past 3 years written to her by a loving visiting teacher, she came back to church. Her husband is working on becoming active. K is the 2nd counselor in the primary presidency. She's been active for about 3 years. She comes to church with her 2 girls every week. She's working towards going to the temple, but being patient for her husband to go with her. A few months ago, we had our ward visiting teaching conference, and besides the people involved in putting it on, I think our total attendance was maybe 6 sisters. K was there, and was able to share the story of the influence the letters had on her with the sister who wrote the letters. K had never told her before how much those letters had meant to her. It was something so simple for this sister to do, but she was so moved to realize that her letters actually made an impact. She called me the next day in tears "I can't believe that I actually did something good." I had a lot of frustration at the lack of attendance at our conference, until the letter-writing sister called and let me know the sweet reunion that took place that night with her and K. Our conference was a success. An outpouring of love had come full-circle."

I totally love Kathy, my visiting teaching companion. I'm so happy we're together. She is such a great example to me, and she is working so hard to give her girls a good foundation in the gospel.

Whoa, from The Office to visiting teaching in one post is probably breaking some cardinal rule of blogging. If it's not, it should be. I should make these 2 seperate posts. I'm feeling edgy today, so I'll leave it all together. We've got not a lot on the agenda for the weekend, and I'm so happy about that! Hopefully it will be very productive- I have a lot I'd like to get done! Have a happy last weekend of September!

5 comments:

kristin said...

You have a happy weekend too!

Love the VT story! Things like that really strengthen my testimony of the importance of VT.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

Unknown said...

thanks for your comment on my blog! looks like you're already bloggin' buddies with my mama! and several other cool people. i'll be adding you to my list and checking in often, since we have the same sense of humor and all! ;)
the office is my FAVORITE and arrested development is a cottam fam' tradition. we have all 3 seasons on dvd and are willing and ready to watch them at any time, with anyone we can convince to watch!

Jan said...

I LOVE 'A Mighty Wind' too. Funny, funny, funny. And I loved the VT story as well -- and hey, there's my daughter right above me. Wow!

Mrs. Walker said...

Fact: Your post did inspire me to use a quote for the office and portray my love for that great comedy.

Myth: I used you as a model for my snotty brat comment.

Fact: It's really about my BIL's girlfriend he recently "got back together" with. Sh, don't tell though.

Sharla said...

Oh, Christina, I've been having to avoid your blog until I finally got to watch the whole Office premier-- I cannot abide spoilers. It's so good to be back! The stitious line was completely rad. And I just knew you'd appreciate Arrested Development.:)

Loooove your VT story. So far the only result from my letter writing was that a kind of crazy lady called me and accused the bishop's wife of stealing from her. Good times. I'm going to try and block out that memory with your story.