
Yes, a little Rest and Relaxation with Russ and Rita (my in-laws) was Rad and Refreshing. Ok, enough use of r and r, on to the vacay recap. Here are the highlights.
-After no less than 10 hours of searching, I found what I thought would be a great place to stay. Although it did accommodate us nicely with number of beds and floor plan (a 4 bedroom town house with a loft located in a community with a pool/clubhouse which we actually didn't even end up using), there were a few glitches along the way. No AC+broken fridge+burned out light bulbs+smoke alarm that needed a new battery were a few of the downs. A fixed fridge+flipping the breaker so the smoke alarm would stop beeping+a partial credit for the inconvenience of the broken fridge+a private hot tub on our deck were a few of the ups. Not sure we broke even...
-Dinner out to this little spot was pretty fun minus Addie's huge melt-down mid-dinner. We were celebrating Russ and Rita's 40th Anniversary which is actually today. My dinner was delicious, although Pat wasn't that impressed, but I reminded him that I'm not sure I've ever been to a nice dinner with him where he was impressed, and he agreed he's pretty hard to please.
-Of course we worked in some time at the outlets where I scored some major deals at The Children's Place (church pants for Sam for $1.99 plus another 15% off- unheard of!) and picked up a few things at Carter's. I could've spent more time shopping, but it's probably good we quit when we did. The boys spent a little time on the golf course to cancel out our shopping time, I suppose.
-My fear of heights was in full force during our gondola ride to the top of the mountain and back down. I was informed just as we were sitting down and the gondola was taking off that Sam couldn't be strapped to me in the carrier that he was in, so I hurriedly unstrapped him and we were in the air. I have never been so nervous. My squirmy 18 month old plus my overtired and a little bit grumpy 3 year old had me on pins and needles- one wrong move and my babies would be gone! We sang songs a good part of the ride- a way to distract the kids and keep my mind off the impending danger. The views were beautiful and the breeze was nice on the way back down, which I enjoyed much more than the ride up. We were planning to hike around at the top, but Addie face planted after we got off the gondola (so bad she had a mouth full of dirt), her cousin H wanted to go back, and everybody wasn't feeling the hiking love, so we headed back. (The above pic is when we were at the top- notice the dirt all over my chin and all over Addie- it was taken shortly after her fall. Sam's pose is how he stayed most of the weekend- he's making some serious progress on teeth right now with at least 2 more in the works and 4 having cut in the past 2 weeks.)I'm hoping to get in some hiking some time soon- it's one of my favorite things to do, and it's been way too long, but it wasn't meant to be this weekend.
-Hot tub time, adult conversation after the kids were in bed, and delicious treats and breakfasts are some of the makings of a great trip. It's really amazing to me that we could travel less than an hour and have such a nice change of pace. I think family trips are really important- it's nice to see each other in a different element and have time to relax and play together. But I'm also glad to be home!

8 comments:
A fab time! Minus the inconveniences of the so called conveniences. :) My heart dropped while reading about the Gondola. I'm terrified of heights!!
I'm glad you had a great time, and that you're home!
And thanks for the heads up about Children's Place. I think I'll have to head up there soon!
glad you had a good time. you have a great attitude when it comes to bumps along the road.
love that about you!
and missed you at the blogger meet-up. NEXT TIME!
You are such a good mama. I agree with Lupe about the Gondola. I would have been doing some heavy praying and repenting!!!! Loved the singing idea.
Glad you made it home safe.
Going away is always good but coming home (for me, anyhow) is always better. Glad you had a good time!
Sorry I didn't stop to say hi tonight. I was in all spandex. :)
Sounds like a perfect trip- you gotta have those things you remember for years that caused inconvenience at the time but bonding for life:) I have loved catching up on you guys!
Your post made me remember last year, when we went up and rode the gondola, too. I had Maddie on my lap and Jeff had Garet. Maddie was not into being still and checking out the scenery....VERY SCAREY!! Don't think I'd try that again with a 1 year old!! Glad you had fun and made it home safely!!
Post a Comment