I've really been thinking a lot lately about being a better mom. There are some things that I just need to improve on, but the biggest is really being present and connected to my kids instead of just going through the motions. At least 3 blogs that I read have shared this quote from Anna Quindlen in the last few days:
“…the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make…I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of [my children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4, and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”
--Anna Quindlen
I was especially hit today by this post from this blogger who I've been reading for a few weeks and totally loving. I really need to follow her advice. I'm currently trying to figure out the how-to's of being present. I've got a lot to work on. But I'm determined. Our family is worth it. My kids are worth it.
Feel free to share your wisdom.
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Christina, thanks for sharing that post. I loved all of it, really, especially the sentence "I want to be their’s while I can." Just today I started bawling thinking of Jane ever leaving. She was quite concerned and kept saying "happy" "happy" while I hugged her. It's so fearful to think that we will one day look back on these days with regrets that we had done it differently. I don't think there is a magic solution, at least, not that I know of. But if it means anything I think the sheer fact that the idea is in our minds will affect to some degree the way we interact with our children. (just like the writer of the post mentioned). And if it means anything, I've always seen you as a very engaged and "present" mother. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to try and be more present tomorrow.
Such a good message and a good reminder to get me back on track. Thanks Christina!
I agree with Anna Q. Time goes by so quickly! Enjoy your time with your babies...
It is so hard for me to do, but I really love when I do take the time to enjoy being with my kids. Thanks for the reminder.
It's something every young mama struggles with -- but I'm here to tell you that it will be over before you know it. Literally. And it's hard to look back and wish you had spent more time being a great mama instead of anything (and everything) else.
Thanks for sharing that quote and this post. It is something that has been on my mind so much lately. Especially now that Lydia is here, I just want to freeze every single sweet little moment with her.
Thanks also for sharing the link to that blog - it looks so inspiring!
I hope you are having a great day!
That is so funny you put this qoute in here, It was quoted in conference and I stumbled on it in my conference notes the other day. Yes, it is true, gotta be focused on the really important things. You are always good to help me remember. I love your blog :)
Thank-you for this post. This has also been a big concern for me lately. I feel like I am always cleaning, doing the yard, or just too exhausted to "play" with my children. I am soooo glad I went away for a little bit so I could come back and have a fresh start. It's amazing how fast time goes by with our children. It seems that I just brought Kaleb home yesterday and now he is this big 9 year old boy...I just hope my children always know that I love them and they are the priority...NOT the laundry or yard, etc. I am so thankful that I have friends like you that help me to be a better mom:)
Post a Comment