Monday, June 2, 2008

Virtual Enrichment Help

Hey friends! How was your weekend? Mine was less than fab and included A waking up at 4:30 Saturday morning throwing up. The vomiting, accompanied by its BFF diarrhea, lasted all day, and the latter stuck around for Sunday. My plans of getting my square foot garden all finished up did not come to pass. Hopefully by the weekend (yes, it is June, a little late for sure, but better late than never, no?) we will be awaiting plant success. I scored some great beefsteak tomato plant starts at Costco which already have blooms- hopefully we'll have tomatoes in no time, which is really my favorite reason to plant a garden anyway!

On to the real point of today's post. Since I currently don't have an Enrichment Leader and my Enrichment committee is average-age 75, I'm looking to you, my faithful friends, for a little affirmation and help with my planning. We're having a summer picnic on June 19th- less than 3 weeks away, so I'm definitely in crunch mode. It will be in the backyard of a ward member- location: check. We'll visit and eat, and then we're having a spiritual program to introduce the theme we came up with for our Relief Society that we're wanting everyone to work towards. I'll post more about that later. Let me share where my inspiration is coming from (images via Oh Happy Day):
This has been in my head since I saw it in April. I don't think I'm going to do quite as many labels for every food item. For this party they did facts on the labels about the birthday boy. For our activity I thought maybe I'd do scriptures or quotes that relate to our theme we'll be introducing. I love the gable boxes and have already tracked some down online, although I'll call a few local places to compare costs before ordering. I've thought about changing colors to maybe greens with white, or blues and white, but red is my favorite color (shout-out to Tib's My Favorite Monday today), so I'll most likely stick to this palate.

So, on to the food. I'm thinking a typical sandwich/fruit/salad or chips/cookie type picnic- everything will wrap up so nicely in the boxes. Most likely water to drink. Here are some places I've looked for inspiration on the menu:
Sandwiches: this or a variation on this (no mayo will make it easier to make ahead, is my thinking)
Fruit: maybe something like this?
Salad or chips: chips would definitely be easier- maybe some sun chips or something kind of different/fun
Cookie: most likely the gold standard chocolate chip- Pat's mom makes the best- maybe I could convince her to make them "with" (for) me
Drinks: water? fun drinks that won't break the bank? If I do water bottles they'll fit nicely in the boxes- a definite plus.

Seating: should I bring round tables over and set up chairs making it a little more formal, or should I just have chairs everywhere and blankets for people to sit and eat more casually?

Decor: I'm thinking white lights along the fence. Red and white balloons at the gate to welcome people in. Flowers in jelly jars and mason jars along the table the boxes are on, and possibly other tables if we end up eating at tables. Maybe votives in jelly jars for when the dusk settles in?

I'm sure I'm over thinking, but I do love a good party, and I really think food and decor will help set the tone for the night. I want it to be a smash hit so the sisters have a great desire to be more involved in attending Enrichment, too- it's kind of my debut activity.

Help me out, readers. Food suggestions, decor ideas, it's all welcome.

4 comments:

Jan said...

I'm pretty much inactive as far as RS goes so I won't be of any help here - but I know you'll get some great input from others! Looks great to me.

Sharla said...

Thank heavens for enrichment counselors like you! Will you move to my ward? :) Everything looks fantastic-- I'm in love with the red.

Candis Ellis said...

Oh I love! My mouth seriously started watering when I thought about the Bousin. Also love the origami style fruit cups - how cute would they be in red and white!? Seriously, Christina, it is the month of the party for you, please let me help!

Suzie said...

I love all of your ideas!

One year we did an activity like this. Turned out to be a good one.

Along with yummy food & fun decor we had picnic partners. We had a few activities planned like get to know you's between partners, sharing with the whole group, & just make you laugh fun.

We paired up certain women on purpose to encourage sisterhood & attendance.

good luck. sounds so, so fun!