Tuesday, June 3, 2008

In a Mood...

It has been one of those days. I have been so short on patience, and between a clingy one year old whose favorite pastime is crawling on his mom and a whiny three year old who has done nothing but disobey all day, I'm feeling pretty empty and worn out. I woke up to Addie scratching me and hitting me around 6:45. What a great way to start the day! She clocked Sam in the head with a Weeble around 8:30. On the way to the grocery store she turned her sippy cup upside down and successfully spilled her whole cup of water all over her car seat. She apparently hadn't learned her lesson about spilling water because she spilled another cup all over Sam while I was making dinner, soaking the carpet as well as her brother. The only redeeming thing she did was take a nap!

During one of our conversations after something naughty, she asked me "Mom, do you still love me?" That was the wake up call I needed. We had a good talk about the fact that I will always love her no matter what, even though some of her choices make me sad.

This parenting thing- heck, this life thing, is a hard job. I've felt very worn out lately. And then I feel selfish for wanting a minute to myself. Finding the balance is a constant struggle. As I was making dinner it donned on me that the adversary is always working on me, but will probably try to make Tuesdays extra hard when I'm needing to prepare myself for presidency meeting. I've got a lot of work to do. I've got a long way to go. But I am grateful for moments of awakening like that, making me aware of why I may be struggling so I can work harder at overcoming.

Tomorrow will be better. I'm making the choice now to work harder. I am the maker of my home, and although I can't control everything, I do have a say in how I react and what I have to offer. I've got to offer more of my best.

12 comments:

tara said...

christina, your best is ENOUGH. that's all you can do.
you are a sensitive inspirational mom. keep it up.

carey said...

Amen to what Tara said. Motherhood is so HARD and your best is all you can do! Hang in there. Sorry it was such a rough day!

Unknown said...

so sorry! we all have days (and days...and days...) like that. you're doing a fabulous job.

Hayley said...

christina, i'm not a mom - but i'm around kids. and i have days, too. we all do. it is a hard job. but an important one, too. its good to have a moment where you realize you can do better, but i always think we need to not be so hard on ourselves. just because we can do better, doesn't mean we're doing terrible.

i like your positive outlood, you're very inspiring to me!

Hayley said...

*** outlook, sorry.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I too think you are a good mom, just for the fact that you are continuing thru it all. Sorry about your day, tomorrow will be better. :)

Lupe said...

I love how you wallow in your sorrow for about a minute and turn in around with a promise to do better. So inspiring! I would have dones some splashing around and a few backstrokes in my wallowing.

Hannah said...

You are such a fabulous mom! Whenever I am at your house, I am amazed at how patient and kind you are to your children.

I think all of us have days like that...mothering is tough!

Jan said...

Tomorrow will be better -- and a lot of it will be because of what you have figured out, understood, and learned from today. You're a great mama and are doing such a good job. You may not see it or feel it some days, but it's there. Good for you.

jeremyandleslie said...

You are a great mom - it's been like that around here lately as well - it is very exhausting, isn't it? You're doing great!

tiburon said...

I hate days like that. Way to turn it around and learn something from it though :)

Heather said...

I love you. Sometimes you just have to focus on the nap-redeeming quality :)