Today I had a consultation with an orthodontist. I've had some issues in my mouth for years, and through a recent trip to the dentist I've discovered that I really can't put off dealing with them for much longer. So, hopefully soon (if I can suck up the costs and not be so frustrated with dental insurance!) I'll be rocking the adult orthodontia. But after my appointment today, I may pull it off better than I thought!
I was making small talk with the "treatment coordinator" while we waited for the ortho to make his appearance. She asked me where I was from and what had brought me to Utah. She followed up by asking if I'd moved here with my family. When I let her know that no, in fact I'd moved here to go to BYU, she asked if I was enjoying it and still in classes. I let her know that no, I graduated from BYU in '03. Seeing her confusion, I thought I'd really throw her for a loop and dropped the big bomb: "I have two kids." She was stunned and speechless. Well, not quite, she was too bubbly to remain speechless for long. Ms. Coordinator was so sweet and cute, probably younger than I am, but seemed to think I was about 16. The fact that I'll be a decade older than that this weekend is slightly frustrating. Not that I want people to think I'm 40, but come on, give me a little credit for my (albeit small) amount of life experience!
Suddenly the ortho waltzed in, did the thorough exam, informed me that I'd be the proud wearer of braces for 18 months to 2 years, and then launched into the same scenario. "You've got so much life ahead, you'll be so happy to have this taken care of," he coaxed, trying to get me to sign up for the overpriced metal. And then, he paused, studied for a moment, and asked "How old are you?" I'm sure he expected me to tell him I couldn't wait to go to prom next year, so when I said (almost) 26, he shook his head in disbelief. "Well, I didn't think you were that old, but it will still be a great move for you, you still have a lot of life ahead." Gee, thanks, doctor. You sure do know the way to win a new patient. Then he followed up with, "You may want to go with the clear braces so people don't think you're quite as young." Then I decided to make him squirm by asking if braces would impact pregnancy in any way. This is a huge deciding factor for me. We'll most likely have another baby in the next two years. And puking with braces just doesn't sound too awesome.
Maybe it was the few zits I'm currently sporting- acne keeps you youthful, right? Maybe it's my 5'0 stature. Maybe it was my white boat neck 3/4 sleeves fuss-free shirt with jeans (which I thought was pretty mom-uniform-like, but maybe I just looked like a fashion challenged teen). Whatever it was, I walked out of the office today feeling a little confused about the image I must be portraying. Leaving the kids with my sister-in-law takes years off my life. Or maybe people just think I'm the babysitter.
I picked up the kids and headed to McD's for lunch with my sister-in-law and the niece and nephew. And I ordered a happy meal. After all, I can pull it off- it's not like I'm (almost) 26!
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
When I went to California with my mom, most strangers thought my mom was my kid's mother or that I was a teenage mom...so I have the same problem. I actually find it flattering. I would much rather look like I am 16 than older than my age.
that is TOO funny! that used to happen to me...and i have to say, it's sort of disappointing that it never does anymore. people used to think i was maya's babysitter. no one ever accuses me of being a babysitter anymore...
about the braces. chris just got his on/off in the past 2 years. if it's something you're going to do eventually, i'd say just do it now. he went clear on top, metal on the bottom. it's always surprising how fast life goes on. if you'd have got them on this time last year (doesn't seem that long ago, does it?) you'd be 6 months to a year to getting them off. just take the plunge, get it over with. after all, you've got a lot of life left...for a (gasp!) 25 year old! :)
I agree with Hannah - it's not a bad thing to look younger!! Enjoy it! As for the braces -- just suck it up and dive in. You'll be done before you know it.
pack on about 40 pounds & you won't look so young. :) that's what happened to me in the last few years. my first few years of teaching, kids would go home and tell their parents they had a highschooler for a teacher. now when they guess my age, they guess 40, 50, whatever. it makes me want to cry, but i like to say that my weight gain was so that i could be respected by students
You crack me up! Yes, you do look young, but live it up while you can! One day you will be wishing for it :) Ya, I can understand your hesitancy about the braces...but I think you should do it. I never really noticed problems with your teeth, but maybe it's a problem that isn't really visible? Have you made a decision yet? Good luck!
Enjoy looking young. I always looked younger too but time has a way of taking care of that. Sigh.
Braces are a big commitment, but then so are kids and you've already done that. ;)
No way! I don't think you look young! But Hannah's right. I would rather look young than old! You'll be laughing in your dentist's face when your 40 and everyone thinks you're 30.
what a great story! Also, are you really only 5 feet tall? I have totally imagined you in the 5'6" or 7" range. :)
okay, I am just rolling!!! That whole scene just strikes me as hilarious!
Soak it up... they say your kids scream mom enough, your look doesn't have to :) Congrats on taking care of your mouth... its hard to spend money on stuff like that and moms always put it off for thier family. I am happy for you and your almost 26-ness, it doesn't feel too much worse than 25 because I rationalize that they are so close together,,, its next year you will find me crying on the couch...
Post a Comment