Sunday, June 22, 2008

Family Planning

One of my best friends had her second baby last week. So now she has a little girl and a little boy, about 25 months apart, just like me. I've seen some pretty cute pictures via email, but I still wish I was there to hold that new baby. Which always leaves me thinking about when our next one will come.

This topic has been on my mind a lot lately. By the time Addie was this age, I was already pregnant again with Sam. I have always known in my head that I wanted a bigger gap between Sam and the next baby, but now that I'm in that gap it feels kind of funny. Not like we're supposed to have another baby right now, just that it's different from last time. As I've been thinking about future plans, I've felt like I need to know right now when we're going to have our next baby. Which is totally untrue, but I can't help but think all the time "if we get pregnant in x month then we'll have the baby in y month" and "should we try for a baby in '09 or in '10" and "if I get braces in x month then I wouldn't want to get pregnant until at least y" and "how much would we need to add to our fsa to cover braces plus a baby" and "if we have a baby in x month then I'll only have y months before my 10 year reunion". Can you tell I've been over thinking? But even though I have, I still don't totally feel that itch. I actually had a recent "scare" and was quite relieved to not be currently pregnant. So I guess that's part of my answer for the moment.

So although I don't quite know what our plan is for baby #3, I do know it will come when the timing is right. And I am currently totally enamored with my two kiddos. I know they were meant just for me. Sam has been starting the transition to nursery the past couple of weeks, and as nice as it is to not worry as much during my Sunday meetings, I miss him. It means he's growing up. All parents go through the mix of joy and heartache watching their kids grow up. All parents go through the questioning in deciding what they want their family to be- number of kids, spacing, as well as hopes and dreams for each of those kids. I know these experiences aren't unique to me, but they're where I am right now. I'm so glad to know that we're building our family with our Heavenly Father, and dedicating it to Him. And with that knowledge, hopefully I'll rest a little easier tonight.

10 comments:

Melissa E Photography said...

I don't think there is such a thing as overthinking a new baby. It's such a hard decision! You so awesome though, you'll know when the time is right. Now if only your dang braces didn't have to be in the equation. I can see how that complicates things!

Rusti said...

I'm right there with you. It's hard to accept such an enormous life event as unknown. I don’t feel ready for #3 but we are nearing that gap we had between our first two so it's definitely on my mind.

Hannah said...

It is a hard decision. I feel the itch, but I don't think it is quite the right time for us either. But...I really can't wait to hold another baby!

Jan said...

I think that's the key - -that you figure it out with Heavenly Father as one of the people involved. And you're doing that. I love it.

Mrs. Walker said...

It's such a rough decision! We didn't really get to "plan" our first one, it was a little sprung on us, but now that I feel I can plan the next one I'm always thinking and wondering when the right time will be. Questions like: Will I be the right weight? Will we have enough money? Will we have the next one during law school, or wait til Locke is in kindergarten and Cade is out of law school? Can I survive having an extra one?!

I agree with Melissa, that you are so awesome you'll be able to figure it out! I think as mom's we totally "know" when we're supposed to get the next one and we start really feeling it. I'm with you, that I'm not really feeling it yet and the thought of it freaks me out!

rebecca and eric said...

hey christina- sorry i never comment but i have been reading your blog occasionally, it's just hard to type with one hand! I still want to hang out sometime- maybe in a couple months when nursing slows down a little?? Anyway crazy enough I am already thinking about baby #3- not that i have any desire to be pregnant again for many years, but I think knowing when you might have another one helps a mother cope as her children/babies grow up and leave each cute stage behind :)

Bonnie said...

In my own personal life, I have learned that when it is the right time, Heavenly Father will make it VERY apparent to you. I am a really stubborn person, who thought we were definitely done with baby #2...but, now we have baby #3. Hopefully, I'm not wrong again on this one since I am giving away all of my baby stuff now.

Becca said...

I think the same way!!!The reunion thing is the best and funniest one that pops into our minds but I was so there too!!!
hey can I link you!!!let me know in my comments!!!

Holly O. said...

Timing is everything! You are so in tune, you'll know when the time is right.

tiburon said...

It is a toughie. We started trying for Olivia when Avery was 5 months and it took us 2 years. Then Amelia was a big surprise! When it is right you will know :)