Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thankful Thursday


Thanks again, Tib.

1. I'm thankful for a comfortable home. There are things that drive me crazy. There are things I hopefully will change down the road. But overall, I feel happy in my house. And I'm grateful we saved and were able to purchase a home we could grow into. As much as I can complain about it some days, I really am blessed to live where I do. And quick access to things like family, friends, freeway, and Target, are a definite added bonus!

2. I'm grateful for my heightened awareness of needing to be better. Sometimes I'm just floating through life oblivious to the many ways I need to improve. Lately it seems to be slapping me in the face on a regular basis. But it's a good thing. I need to criticize less. And build up more. And work on being "happy, kind, and gentle with all" as I'm instructed in my patriarchal blessing. When I mention that part to friends, they always burst out laughing. That's actually a bad sign, I think. It means I have a long way to go. But improvement is possible- a great blessing in my life.

3. I'm grateful for my kids. Sam is kicking things up a notch lately. I feel like personality is just seeping out of every pore. He is a ham. And a dare devil. And giving me big open mouth kisses when I ask him where his mouth is. And he's walking everywhere. And climbing my piano, my computer desk, the playground apparatus up to the top of the slides at the park, and just about anything else he can think to climb. Addie is my cuddle-queen. In the past couple of weeks I've been able to coax her back into napping some with the promise of "cuddly naps". This pretty much involves us both taking naps and getting soaking-wet-sweaty because she's so in my space that she wakes up thinking she's had an accident she's so wet. I tried to sneak out on her one day last week to "use my time," but after her nap she came out sobbing "you weren't supposed to leave me." I felt terrible. Instead I'm enjoying a little extra rest with my baby girl who won't want to rest with me before long. I'm treasuring all the cuddle time I can get these days. It will be gone before I know it.

4. I'm grateful for a patient, good husband. He's agreed to help me build garden boxes this weekend so we can jump on the square foot gardening band wagon- one I've been wanting to jump on for a few years. I'm so excited! He's also really stepped up on the occasions when he's walked in the door from work and I've walked out to go to meetings. Out of all the people who raise their hands to sustain you when you get a calling, your spouse's hand means the most, I think. I'm grateful for his help.

5. I'm grateful for good friends. Friends who teach me new skills. Friends who show me awesome things like this. Friends who provide advice when I ask for it. Friends who listen when I want them to. Friends who waste a whole day with me and it feels like no time has passed. Friends who swap parenting techniques and recipes and favorite eateries and decorating tips. Life is so much more pleasant when we're surrounded with people to enjoy the journey with.

9 comments:

tara said...

agreed:)
on all accounts.

Hannah said...

I am grateful that you live in that house too. It is the perfect central location for our get togethers.

Mrs. Walker said...

One of my sanity savers of being a SAHM is calling someone up once or twice a day and just chatting. I am a firm believer you need adult interaction every day! A great thing to be thankful for! I'm glad you have such great friends!

Suzie said...

now this is a great list. totally sincere.
And yes! Do you live in my town?! How come we never put it together?
Hannah is doing the pageant. the same pageant that Lindsay won two years ago.
woe is me.


enjoy those cute kids of yours!

Suzie said...

hey Christina,
email me
jseagar@msn.com

Jan said...

I loved your list. Your 'thankfuls' are so thoughtful and I enjoy them a lot.

Melissa E Photography said...

This is why I love my Christina. So genuine and so good. I totally agree with your #2. I'm the same way and it can be frustrating sometimes! But I can't imagine you being any more happy, gentle or kind.

Rusti said...

You're is one of my favorite TT lists to read. Always very well done!

Rusti said...

lol- I just noticed the typo as I hit "publish". Let's pretent that didn't happen. ;)