Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Smart Radio Plus a Little Activism

So, a few weeks ago Pat was working late, I was up puttering around and doing some cleaning, when I finally got on the computer and wanted to try out the cool new thing I'd been hearing about. In case you're a little behind the times like me, it's called Pandora radio, and it's totally awesome. You type in the name of an artist or a song you like, and it builds a radio station with similar artists/songs. It's called the music genome project, so it's like building a family tree with music- totally ingenious in my book. You can give feedback as you go about whether you like the song they're playing or not. I played with it for at least an hour and was totally in love. My computer is in my kitchen area, and I was already planning ahead all the times I could spend cooking and changing my tunes on the computer based on what I was in the mood for.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and I received an email from Pandora letting me know that based on government mumbo jumbo, they may have to shut down. But if you don't want them to close their doors, you can call or email your congressman. And then ask them to support the Brownback Internet Radio Equality amendment that will be considered in the Judiciary Committee this Thursday. For a little background, this amendment sets webcasting royalties at the same level as those paid by satellite radio, which would compensate musicians fairly and allow web radio to survive. For more info on the bill, please visit: www.savenetradio.org. This Thursday, people! As in tomorrow. Send off an email tonight or first thing in the morning. I sent my email off to Senator Hatch. I hope he got it. In the mean time, check out Pandora while you still can!

1 comment:

tiburon said...

I LOVE Pandora radio! I Hope they don't shut it down :(