Sunday, May 4, 2008

Do you hear it?

That huge sigh of relief? I've survived the busiest patch, I think. This week will still be busy, but I think I've made it through over half of the agenda items I'd posted about which is a great feeling! As the bishop said to me today when he realized I was holding down the Relief Society fort, "we knew you could do it- strap it on and plow through." That's pretty much how it's been, but I've felt uplifted and strengthened by those around me, and it's been nice to feel so much support. Some things just don't happen (like the Enrichment activity yesterday- I just didn't make it), and I've had to let it go- something I'm working on. Our backyard is starting to shape up some after a busy day of planting yesterday- hooray! My lesson today went well- hopefully a post on that to come.

Today was a total comedy of errors, I must say. In my best efforts to make today go more smoothly, we made sure to get the kids bathed last night, lay out clothes, etc. to make things easier today for Pat to get them ready. When I was getting ready this morning, Sam found Addie's shampoo and started squirting it all over my bathroom floor and himself. Pat scooped him up to get him cleaned up, and Addie came in and promptly slipped on the shampoo mess. I consoled her, got ready, and headed to PEC. Upon return, Addie was having a meltdown because I forgot to do her hair before I left. I quickly threw it in a bun and then headed back to the church to pass out visiting teaching assignments. Pat and the kids showed up, and even more fun began. Sam broke my beaded bracelet during the sacrament, so I was busy retrieving beads and hoping the deacons wouldn't fall on them because we sit on the back pew. Addie was laying on the floor reading a book when she suddenly stood up and announced she'd had an accident all over the carpet in the chapel. I whisked her out of the meeting into the mother's room so we could change into emergency panties we stash in the diaper bag, remove wet clothes, and take her home without getting her car seat covered in pee. I got her cleaned up and we returned to church to find Pat and Sam in the lobby. Sam's pants were wet, but his diaper was dry, which meant he'd probably sat in Addie's mess which I'd gotten the best I could with a spare burp cloth from the diaper bag. I'd brought back a wet rag with me so I could clean the carpet discreetly as people filed out of the chapel. We arrived at gospel principles, and Pat had to excuse himself just as class was starting, so I was left to start class- pretty much reading verbatim the intro to the lesson as Sam spilled his tub of teddy grahams all over the floor. After much chair climbing and one poopy diaper, we made it through and I was off to Relief Society to conduct and teach. It's been a marathon day. Church felt more like 12 hours today instead of 3. But in spite of all the crazy parenting moments today, I still came home feeling uplifted. Amazing how that happens.

I'm hoping to post again tonight- I've got to make up for lost time!

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Ha! That sounds like quite the day. You never know what to expect with toddlers...

Glad your lesson went well! I can't wait to hear about it!

Unknown said...

oh my gravy, what a day, what a day! so glad you survived it all! :)

Jan said...

I totally remember days like that at church -- some days you wonder why you even go. But it you came away feeling good, then you know why you go. For that very reason.

Heather said...

I am so feeling your pain. Sorry I haven't been able to read for awhile, but in catching up- congrats on your new calling/ part time job :) and I'm glad you made it through Sunday... we always try to reflect later on what we were supposed to have heard after the chillin's go to sleep. You are so perfect for your calling and your passion for the new program will be a great blessing to your ward.