Today the lesson I taught in Relief Society was on being a home MAKER, not a homemaker, and how we contribute to the atmosphere in our home. We talked about the qualities of the temple and how we can work to make our homes have more of those qualities. We talked about the Lord's blueprints for house building with this as the foundation for our homes, and these qualities to be contained in our homes. Our homes should be beautiful, inviting, inspiring places to be. I found some fantastic quotes, especially a few great resources of old women's conference talks by Truman and Ann Madsen. This was one of my faves."All the things we say, the prayers we offer, the blessings that are given, the feelings we experience- both good and bad- accumulate in our homes and are felt by those who come there. We add something to the sum each day. That's a sobering thought."
-Truman Madsen, "House of Glory, House of Light, House of Love"
It is a sobering thought! I think I'm going to be much more mindful of the atmosphere I'm creating in my home. I am making it. Every day. It's an awesome responsibility. And an awesome privilege. This quote will also help me focus on the end goal.
"In the latter days there will be a people so pure in Mount Zion, with a house established in the tops of the mountains, that God will manifest himself, not only in their temple . . . but when they retire to their [homes], behold each [home] will be lighted up by the glory of God, a pillar of flaming fire by night."
-Orson Pratt as quoted by Truman Madsen, "House of Glory, House of Light, House of Love"
It was a good lesson with a lot of discussion. After Relief Society, one of the most unapproachable sisters came up to me and gave one of the sweetest and most sincere compliments I've ever received. She told me "I am just in awe of you. Your well is overflowing." Even now, typing that hours after she said it, I'm full of emotion. My well IS overflowing. Overflowing with the blessings of the gospel. With testimony. With love. And I am so blessed.
[temple picture found here- I think I may need this one for my house!]

4 comments:
that sounds like a wonderful lesson. so glad it went well. it's such a blessing to teach we learn so much ourselves.
I've always felt that about being the mom in the home -- that you really do make the home what it is. Sounds like a great lesson, and what a sweet comment to get after the lesson was over.
The Sisters in your ward are blessed to have you. She is so right, your well IS overflowing. HUGS!
Sounds like a beautiful lessons and wish I could have been there to hear it!!! RS is the best!
Post a Comment