Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sweet is the Peace

Today was a really nice day at church. Addie is sick, so Pat stayed home taking care of her since I had to be at church to pass out visiting teaching assignments (and I still have probably 30 to go that didn't get passed out today). To ease the burden for Pat, Sam came with me, and he made the rounds with so many people wanting to love on my handsome boy. One lady held him while I passed out visiting teaching cards. Another held him while I bore my testimony. Two more held him during Sunday School because they love him so. And then he came back to me and promptly fell asleep and cuddled with me through the rest of Sunday School and all of Relief Society. I had to wake him up to get him ready to leave. Addie was heartbroken to miss her first day of Primary, but I didn't think it would be kind to share her fever/cough/runny nose with her sunbeam friends.

But back to what made church really nice. I actually fasted this Sunday for the first one in a long time. I've decided that's one of the blessings/sacrifices of the child bearing years. No fasting while pregnant/nursing leads to lots of missed fast Sundays. But today I realized I'd forgotten the blessings of fasting. The spiritual sensitivity that comes when fasting is so intense. My heart was so full. I was so grateful to bear my testimony- something I often do in Relief Society but not so often in sacrament meeting, and I definitely felt my testimony strengthened through doing so. I felt more peace about the purposes of my fast. A member of our extended family is going through some really rotten things right now, but as we've pulled together to rally behind this person, I've realized the power that comes through families united. I think that's one more reason why we're given the blessings of family- to learn about the strength that comes with unity, which will hopefully turn us to unite our will with the will of our Heavenly Father. I'm so grateful I fasted today. I'm so grateful I renewed my covenants today. I'm so grateful I snuggled with my boy for half of church. Yes, a very nice Sunday indeed.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Sounds like a wonderful Sunday! I can't wait to fast again...

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Jan said...

I'm with you on the fasting - the spiritual closeness you feel when fasting is amazing. And I did not fast this time as I"m still taking some heavy duty drugs that need food to go along with them -- and I missed it. Thanks for the post.