Sunday, January 27, 2008

Contemplating Life

It's been a big weekend here. My grandpa passed away early Saturday morning. President Hinckley passed away today. I'm feeling a lot of reflection coming on.

My grandpa has been alone for 9 years. My grandma died when I was in high school. He's not a member of the church. He has gone blind over the last several years. They found out he had advanced stages of cancer a few weeks ago. He went home from the hospital at the beginning of the week. Hospice care came in to aid my aunt who he lived with (who happens to be a nurse) in making him more comfortable for the end of his days. I am really doing ok- he's been ready to go since my grandma left, and I love thinking about the reunion he's had with my grandma. I've been privileged to complete her temple work, and I can't wait until his work can be completed and they can be sealed. I hope that maybe it will motivate my dad to return to the temple so he can be sealed to his parents. I still don't know about funeral arrangements, but the funeral will be in Pennsylvania. Since it's Pat's first week at his new job, chances are slim that I'll be able to go, but I'd like to if I get the opportunity.

Death brings such a mix of emotions with a gospel understanding. There is definitely sorrow, but I can't stay too sad knowing the joyful reunions that are taking place. In some ways, sadness seems selfish, because I'm sad that I'll no longer have the association of that person here, but I know how magnificent the next stage of the journey is.

President Hinckley is "my" prophet. I use that term loosely, but I think a lot of people feel a closeness to the prophet who presides during their "coming of age". President Hinckley has seen me through my teenage years, my college experience, and into marriage and motherhood. I had the choice opportunity to see him several years ago while working at the MTC. I tried to find the post because I thought I'd posted about it before, but I couldn't find it as I perused my archives. So if I have, forgive me in sharing my story again. I worked in the General Services office at the MTC, and my favorite part of every year was always Mission Presidents Week- the time when most of the other 1M personnel were kicked out of their offices and the general authorities moved in. We were lucky and got to stay in our office, right in the middle of all the action. During this week, all of the apostles, the First Presidency, and assorted members of the Seventy are all there to aid in the training of new Mission Presidents. Between sessions, they pull big tables into all of the hallways filled with massive spreads of food, and everyone eats and visits before they're back in more meetings. It was during one of these snack breaks that I fetched napkins for Elder Oaks because, in his words, he had "gunk on my hands", a little frosting from a donut, I think. But back to President Hinckley. Our office also had a large window with a security gate that would roll down when we were closed. I was opening the window our first morning of Mission Presidents week one summer, knowing that President Hinckley would be visiting that day. As my window rolled up, President Hinckley was standing there right in front of me! I was in complete shock, and barely managed to say "Good Morning, President." He replied "Good Morning, Sister" and continued shuffling down the hall, lined with MTC employees, happy to see the prophet. Simple though it was, it was an experience I will never forget.

I am so grateful for the influences of these men in my life- both my grandpa, and President Hinckley. I am grateful for a knowledge that they are in sweet reunions with their companions. I am grateful for a testimony of the gospel, a knowledge that we have living prophets, a knowledge that families can be together forever, a knowledge that our Savior made it all possible.

5 comments:

Jan said...

How I will miss President Hinckley. I am so sad but it's hard to be really sad when I know he's back with his sweetheart. He has been so lonely for her these past few years. He was such an example of leadership, strength and wisdom -- but he also had the humor and warmth. I love him and will miss him.

Unknown said...

i will miss president hinckley so much. he was a wonderful, wonderful man.

Hannah said...

I am loving reading everyone's President Hinckley posts. I will miss him so much. He was an incredible man.

Rusti said...

I see what you mean. I've thought of Pres. Hinckley as "my" prophet as well. He's been the prophet for my entire membership. He is part of the reason I fell in love with the church. Though I think Pres. Monson is going to be wonderful.

kristin said...

what a sweet post. I am sorry for the loss of your Grandpa. I will also miss President Hinckley so much. What an amazing prophet and example.

On another note - is your Addie an Adelaide? I had a dream that we named our baby Adelaide and called her Addie. :)