Monday, November 2, 2009

On My Heart

Yesterday was my turn to teach Relief Society. I asked that it be that way so I could have a few months post baby without thinking about a lesson. The thoughts I shared have been on my heart for a while, so I thought I'd share a few of them here, too.

It may just be my perception, but it seems to me that a lot of people are currently going through a lot of hard stuff. Yes, there's always the dismal news report, but trials seem so much more close to home for so many. I've really been focused on the concept of taking care of our own, reaching out to those we know for whom we
can make a difference instead of feeling discouraged by the larger, global problems.

Last week was not an easy one for me. Of course there was the vaccine debacle which didn't help anything, but some of life's challenges that are ever-present felt so much more prominent in my existence.
After a full day of feeling pitiful on my part, I woke up the next day determined to get over myself, and I didn’t have to look far to find someone else to focus on, someone who made my trials pale in comparison. My load was lightened as I helped to carry their burden, and I was able to find gratitude again.

I'm feeling more determined right now to close the gap between participating in service projects and ministering as a way of life. The hymn asks Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?, not this week or this month.
I believe that charity is a reflection of our conversion, a measure of our discipleship, and a meaningful ministry that all of us must choose to have in order to follow our Savior. This quote really struck me and has become my focus.

“When, for the moment, we ourselves are not being stretched on a particular cross, we ought to be at the foot of someone else’s—full of empathy and proffering spiritual refreshment.”
-Neal A. Maxwell


I think if we want November to be a month of gratitude, serving others is a sure way to fill our hearts with thankfulness. I'm going to give it a try. Won't you?

5 comments:

Claire said...

Christina-I had to leave a comment. You are so pensive. I love this quote. I am confident your lesson was passionate and strong, and that the Spirit was felt. I appreciate that a strong woman like you orbits around one of my sisters. It brings us all closer to the sun/Son, right? I am thinking of you and this next month. I expect a phone call if you need anything.

Janell R. Cropper said...

Why am I always gone the weeks you teach?!?! UGH!! I hope your lesson went well though!! I'll see you tomorrow!

Mrs. Walker said...

Beautiful Christina. I love it. Thank you for sharing. This has been on the tip of my tongue as well. I love how you've put it into such beautiful words.

Sharla said...

I would love to sit in on your lessons, sweet girl. You've reminded me of a quote that pops up on my google homepage-- I love it:

Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you.
-Mother Theresa

carey said...

Wow, I wish I could have heard your lesson! I taught a couple of weeks ago - - Monson's conference talk, "What have you done for someone today?" It sounds just along the same lines... :)