Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Supper

For last week's Relief Society dinner the committee and I made 8 chicken pot pies. They actually came together pretty quickly, and I thought I'd share the recipe since I was already typing it up to be passed out to the ladies at church next month. I received this recipe several years ago from my aunt and it's gotten a lot of mileage at my house since then. The roux makes it taste more home-made, but a few shortcuts on the vegetables and dough help to cut down the prep time. You've got to love a recipe like that!

Chicken Pot Pie
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth (I use chicken bullion if I don't have broth on hand)
2/3 cup milk
2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
1 package frozen vegetables
pie crusts for top and bottom (I use the Pillsbury crust to save time)

Heat butter over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min. Stir in chicken and frozen vegetables.

Place bottom crust in at least 9" pie dish. Pour chicken mixture in and put the other crust on top. Close crusts together and poke a few holes in top crust before baking. Bake at 425 for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is brown.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Thanks, Christina. The only pot pie I've ever eaten in this house has come from the freezer at Costco. I'm going to be brave and give this a try!