Thursday, November 29, 2007

Getting Back to My Old Self Again....

Pat has started contracting again. The excitement is building for his interview Monday. I'm starting to feel back to my old self again. With the cold/snowy weather on Tuesday, I spent my afternoon in the kitchen and it was so nice! I made rolls and used half the dough to make cinnamon rolls- my first time from scratch- to take to book club. We had an impromptu dinner with friends with potato soup and rolls. I made a couple batches of baby food in the afternoon. It was the perfect way to spend a gray day. Book club was fun and low stress, just what I needed, and I think my cinnamon rolls were well received.

Yesterday Addie had her first non-family birthday party. What a milestone! She was so excited, and I was going to stay, but the other parents were all leaving, so I left too. It was a big day at our house, and I'm glad she had a great time with one of her first friends. While Addie was at the party, I delivered invitations to all of our neighbors for a Christmas party at our house. I decided this year we'd get together and have a food drive instead of swapping neighbor gifts, so I hope my neighbors get on board with my self-proclaimed great idea. Everyone is supposed to bring a dessert to share, so we can eat treats, visit, box up the food, swap stories about holiday traditions, and have a great time!

This morning Hannah and Melissa came over for brunch. It was so fun since we've been trying to get together for ages, and this morning we actually managed it! We talked and laughed and swapped MIL stories while the kids played surprisingly well together (especially considering Addie's grumpiness since she has a no-nap hangover due to the birthday party yesterday- I think the day after she misses a nap is always worse than the day of the missed nap).

All of this entertaining has helped me realize that I'm getting back to normal after the hard time we've had. It really had me in a funk, and I'm so happy to be pulling out of it. I have to remember that there are some things that I don't want to revert to, though, and as good as it is to feel like my old self, I hope I'll be my old self but a little bit wiser due to the school of experience I was just blessed to receive.

5 comments:

Lupe said...

Awww....I wish I had a friend like you around here! Cheers to good friends and parties..especially if Addie's a part of it. :)

Sharla said...

I love your Christmas party idea! Parties a-plenty-- now that's a fabulous way to get back to our old selves. And your old self is a particularly nice one to get back to! I do hope you remember that your old self blogs a lot. :)

Jan said...

You have learned a lot and it shows. You are a great example to many of us - -I hope you know that.

carey said...

So glad to hear you are getting back to your old self. It's a great feeling, huh? (I'm hopefully getting there myself). Amen to what Lupe said - hear hear for good friends & parties!

Mrs. Walker said...

I'm so glad you're feeling a bit better! You really do have such a good attitude about things. I love it. I always come to your blog to get my inspiration of the day!