Sunday, November 18, 2007

Busy Doing Nothing...

Lately I've really felt like we've been busy doing nothing. It's nice every now and again to take time to do nothing, but this 3 month hiatus from life has gotten a little lengthy. I have had some interesting thoughts lately, though, on the matter of being busy doing nothing. I think that busy-ness is definitely a problem we deal with today, and I think many of us are quick to carve out some down time, time to relax, time to unwind and recreate. The problem I've discovered is that I'm so busy enjoying down time, I forget to fill my life with some of the good things- the things that I feel like I don't have time for, but somehow I'm finding time to relax, and maybe I should be doing these good things instead.
The thought came to me when my awesome visiting teaching companion was sharing the message this past week. She chose Elder Snow's talk on service. He talked about his mother reflecting at the end of her life and wishing that she had served more, and despite his reminder to her of all the things she'd done, she expressed that she could have done more. I have had a lot of time on my hands as of late, and no excuse for not serving more. Service is one of the good things that gets pushed to the bottom of the stack far too often for me. When I think about the schedule President Hinckley must keep, although I'm sure that he takes time to be quiet, pray, study and meditate, I like to imagine that he does those things in the quiet of morning, and then gets to work. I don't imagine him idling away his time. I think his schedule which is full of good things is part of what keeps him going. Yes, I know that we shouldn't run faster than we have strength, but I also think that if we're running on the Lord's errand, our capacity will be enlarged. I love this quote that Elder Snow shared by President Kimball: “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another mortal that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.”
I want to be that answer to prayers, meeting the needs of those around me. I want to serve others because I love my Heavenly Father, and this is an important way for me to show Him just how much I love Him. I want to teach my children that service is not just another good thing, but one of the essentials. I need to feel the joy that comes from truly blessing the lives of others, the joy that comes as Heavenly Father's way of saying thank you for helping.

4 comments:

Sharla said...

Christina, you don't know how much I needed to hear those very words today. I want to be like you when I grow up. And would you mind moving into my ward? :)

Jan said...

I have always loved that quote and I agree with your take on it -- we need to be aware so that we can BE the answer to the prayer that has been offered. I too need to be better about service -- you're definitely an inspiration to me today. Thank you!

Mrs. Walker said...

I know I need a much needed kick the keister to get me up and going on my service! I can't help but think that in this time of year we're counting all of our blessings we should be sharing ourselves with others.

Once again, leaving us all with a new goal this week to serve more! lol.

carey said...

Good post. I agree with Sharla - - would you move into my ward? Thanks for the words of wisdom. :)