Thursday, November 22, 2007

My Tummy is Full...

but my heart is fuller. It's been a pretty nice day. Definitely busy morning, because my mom and her husband and my in-laws were all coming here at 1:00, which meant a tight time table this morning. Things were right on schedule until my turkey took an extra hour to cook, so we started eating half an hour later than I'd hoped, but still not too shabby. I was in charge of the turkey, stuffing, rolls, gravy, as well as a sweet potato and apple recipe which I tried but didn't love, and a few brownies to supplement the pies made by Pat's mom (I think Addie was the only one who opted for a brownie). Other dishes we dined on included a delicious squash souffle, broccoli-rice casserole, cranberry jell-o salad (which is really the only way I'll eat jell-o- this is so yum!), a spinach salad, veggies and dip, and I think that was about it. We ate at 1:30 and I'm still full. It's after 9:00. I'm still full. That is not a good sign.

However, the important parts. I'm so grateful for a good life with a good family. I'm grateful for the Patrick-Christina-Addie-Sam family, and although our families of origin are important, this is the one that I place the most stock in right now. This is the one that overflows my heart. There are so many things that I take for granted and my eyes have been more opened to them recently then ever before. I remember when I had Addie and I looked at her and saw 10 fingers and 10 toes and realized what a miracle that was to have a perfect healthy baby when not everyone is so lucky. Countless blessings are so easily overlooked. Speaking of blessings, yesterday morning a company that Pat had contracted with a few weeks back called to offer him another contract position that could last around 2 months. He told them he'd call them back. About twenty minutes later, another company called to schedule an interview for December 3rd. Our hearts are extra-full of gratitude right now. Pat accepted the contract position. We're still hoping things work out with our first choice company come January, but this interview may lead to something good, too, so we're keeping an open mind. As I was expressing my thanks while pondering/praying, I clearly remembered "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." No, He hasn't let us want during this time. And He never will.

Hope you all had a blessed Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Mrs. Walker said...

I love this Thanksgiv ing post! So perfect. It's so great when we can realize the things that we're grateful for. I don't think we need to have more blessings to feel blessed, but more appreciation for the blessings we already have.

Good luck on the job! The Lord blesses us when we least expect it.

Jan said...

I'm full of gratitude too -- it sounds like your day was beautiful. Thanks for the uplift - -I always love reading your thoughts. (that made it sound like I have ESP or something -- don't worry, I don't!) hee hee!