
Today is a better day. Better than yesterday by far. Your kind words and my own reality check to myself helped me turn that frown upside down. I was productive today, which always brightens my mood. I did some laundry. I did serious vacuuming throughout the house. I started cleaning my bedroom and will hopefully finish tomorrow. I bathed the kids together- a new thing at our house that I'm sure they'll continue to love for the next few years until modesty becomes a little more of an issue and baths are no longer seen as a fun chance to play. Pat (and I did some too) winter fertilized the lawn. Tomorrow I want to finish some weeding and tidying so we can more officially put the lawn to bed for the winter. Unlike some of our neighbors, we stopped watering a few weeks ago. I kind of like the winterizing of the outdoors. It makes me want to tidy things up inside too and batten down the hatches. It was a beautiful day today- so warm a jacket was almost laughable, and a good chance to get outside work done. If it holds up, then I'm hoping to go for a jog tomorrow. Yes, I actually feel that motivated! You must know something has changed around here. :)
Really, my outlook is the biggest change. While I was cleaning my bedroom today, I came across some things that helped my perspective shift. A while ago, Pat and I gave talks on having a positive attitude. I found one of the talks that I'd printed out to use as a resource, and it was more than a coincidence that I ran across it today. It was a BYU devotional address by Rex and Janet Lee. I'd highly recommend downloading the free PDF and reading it if you need a reminder about positive attitudes. One of the great quotes from this talk is actually a quote form Elder Maxwell who called Christ our "attitudinal exemplar". Sister Lee quote Elder Maxwell again from his book Even As I Am:
Though our trials are tiny compared to [the Savior's], . . . Jesus was of good cheer because then current conditions did not alter His sources of ultimate joy. Are not our fundamental sources of joy the same as His? . . . It remains for us, therefore, to be of good cheer even when . . . current circumstances seem hopeless. . . . The unfolding of God's purposes may require the collapse of other things. How often is it necessary for dismantling to occur in order for something better to be put in place?
I love this quote! I miss Elder Maxwell. He was such a poet- it seemed like every sentence in each talk was packed with meaning I could study for days and still not scratch the surface.
So, I'm back in the saddle, smile on my face, positive attitude in my soul, gratitude in my heart. I'm hoping to run tomorrow. And cross some things off the to do list. And enjoy the beautiful fall weather with my family. And have a grand time doing it!
(Photo via Flickr)

2 comments:
Christina, you are so amazing! Seriously, I can always count on you to have a GREAT attitude, even on your Monday post, where you were feeling so down, your faith and testimony shown through.
Hang in there, Heavenly Father has great things in store, and it sounds like you guys are doing what you are supposed to be doing. He WILL bless you...but the patience is definitely the hard thing.
Hugs, and know that I am thinking and praying about you. :)
Glad things are feeling better to you -- and I too loved the quote. I truly believe that it's a matter of really knowing that the light you seek is just around the corner -- and hanging on till you get to that corner. You are doing it!
Post a Comment