Ah, the start of a new year. There's nothing that brings out the contemplation and introspection like a great big fresh start. Not that every day isn't filled with a fresh start, but a new year just seems to be an extra big one. 2008 had a lot of starts for us. Pat started a new job. Addie started pre-school. Sam started singing. I started running {again}. New callings were started. New friendships were started. Here are a few things I'm looking to start (and in some cases, finish) in 2009...
1. Making motherhood my #1. Not that it's not already, but I often don't give it the time/attention/effort for improvement that it deserves to be a really good mom. My kids deserve the best I've got to give, and I want to give them my best everyday, not just on my good days. To do this, I'm hoping to form some better routines and habits and traditions. I'm really excited about implementing a lot of things I've planned to get to "someday." That someday is starting in 2009. As Addie would say, WHIPPOO (said when other people would say WOOHOO)!
2. Improving spiritually. It's a constant effort, and I've slipped lately in some of my good habits. I need to attend the temple more frequently. I need to pray more fervently. I need to work harder at my calling. I need to look for more opportunities to serve, and then follow through. I think a lot of this will go hand in hand with some of my efforts in goal #1.
3. Beautifying my home. I've lived here for over 3 years. I can count on less than 2 hands the number of pictures I've hung. There is something wrong with that count. I have great ideas in my head of how I'd like things to be, but that's as far as they've come. I'm hoping to be really frugal and really creative to add a little more warmth and beauty around these parts.
4. Being a better home manager. The main areas I'm hoping to focus on are budgeting, food storage, and organization. We need to keep better track of our spending (can I really do it down to the penny?!?) to work towards our financial goals. I have a lot of food accumulated, but I need to determine how close I am to a 3 month supply and what I need to get there. And I've got some serious organizing that needs to happen around these parts. I really need a ruthless friend to help me weed through- if you'd like to volunteer, let me know.
5. Taking better care of myself. This will happen in a variety of ways. I need to think about what I'm eating before I eat it. I need to get a better exercise routine going (December has blown everything to heck). I need to wash my face before falling into bed at night. I need to devote more love and care to my relationship with Pat, which definitely makes me a happier person. I need to take time for myself.
I think that's enough for this year. Last year I listed 10 things which were really specific. This year things are a little more broad, but I still have specific goals in each resolution. In Sunday a speaker talked about effective goal-setting, and he gave 4 steps that totally struck a chord with me: 1. Make a detailed plan. 2. Dedicate it to Heavenly Father 3. Do exactly what you said you'd do. 4. Return and report on how you've done and rejoice or adjust. I just loved this and think it will really help me as I work hard this year to improve.
Welcome, new start. Welcome, 2009. WHIPPOO!
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Great way to start a new year -- I think all of us could use this same list and do well in 2009.
Happy New Year to you!
Good list! I am sure you will accomplish them all.
Whippoo, indeed! I need a Christina to give me these inspirational pep talks every morning. :)
That is so exciting! Can't wait to see what gets hung on your walls :) Oh and, yes, YOU probably could manage down to the penny.
Those are some great sounding goals! I hope I can manage some goal achieving myself. And I hope we can get together this week!
Good goals/resolutions! I haven't even started mine (usually by now I have them at least written down - - you've inspired me). :)
You are one awesome mama. Hope my boys marry as well as your hubby did!
Love your goals and catching up on your blog.
Hope you have a wonderful New Year.
You're inspiring me to go and finally write down these goals I have in the back of my head! They just kind of jumble around!
Post a Comment