Saturday, December 20, 2008

Sweet Adelynn

Today Miss A is the big 4! I've been totally sentimental (in true mom style) thinking back to Addie joining our family. Tonight when I was finishing up her bath I was telling her about cuddling with her for the first time 4 years ago and all of the people who came to see her at the hospital. Kids just love hearing their own story- she was thrilled listening to the parade of hospital visitors and how I was so hungry after I had her and dad brought me a smoothie and what a good big girl she was. Oh, those sweet first moments.

She and I have really had a struggle the past few months. Just in the past week she pulled the stubborn card so hard that we ended up with 3 days in a row of antibiotic shots in lieu of the "yucky pink medicine" she just couldn't stomach to combat her ear infection. Now I'm crossing my fingers it really goes away so we're not in for more rounds of daily dr. visits to administer any more medicine. But despite our power struggles, she really is an amazing girl. She's funny and creative and sweet and has quite an imagination. She loves a good book, a good coloring session, a good movie, and a good tickle. She's ecstatic to visit the library, the ice cream store, and her cousins. She is the queen of treats and pork tacos. She is a deep thinker and a great conversationalist. We had a great day together today, and I put a lot of work into it. It made me realize that if I put a lot of work into everyday, we would probably have a lot more great days together.

I am so grateful for Addie. I can't imagine life without my girl. Tonight we were in the car and she was singing I Am a Child of God and I thought about how it will be so different in four more years when she's turning 8 and she's probably singing the same song, but not as eagerly, and four years after that when she's turning 12 she won't be singing at all. I think 4 is going to be a great year. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Alison Alleman said...

Oh cute. I remember visiting you in the hospital after you had her. I remember being in awe at how perfect and beautiful she was (and still is :)) She was the first baby of all the college friends and it was so thrilling and exciting to have her :) You're a lucky mom :)

Melissa E Photography said...

Woohoo! The big 4! I hear ya on the sassy child. Parker has had a month of just being a mean kid. I wish I could read what's going on in his little brain. I am clueless! Let me know if you have any inspiration! :)

Ella said...

That was great to read. It made me want to go hug Jane and tell her how much I love her. I can't believe she won't be my baby forever. But of course when I went to tell her she was goofing off and didn't even have time for a hug. Not quite the special moment I was hoping for!