
A few months ago, I started running again. I guess I use the term "running" loosely, jogging is more like it, but it's progressing to running. At any rate (no pun intended), after a few weeks I began to deal with an injury. My knee was swollen for about 10 days and accompanied by a dull ache all the time, sharper pains when I was on stairs or inclines. It was painful and inconvenient and a barrier to overcome. But with rest it started to improve and I felt like I could handle it myself and get back to good. I started running again when I felt healed enough, but I was still icing and medicating after each run, and I really didn't want it to stay that way forever. I finally gave in and went to visit the physical therapist. I hopped on the treadmill and she watched me run, circling me so she could see things from every angle. She'd slow the treadmill back to a walk so she could direct me more easily, and then increase the speed again so I could make adjustments to my stride. It boiled down to two changes that I needed to make- my feet a little more forward, my posture a little bit taller. Since I've been running with these changes over the past week, I'm back to running pain free with no icing and no post-run-ibuprofen. It was amazing to me that two things that seemed so small could make such a huge difference.
And then it hit me that isn't this usually the case in life? There are definitely times when a life overhaul is needed for change to occur and things to improve, but I find that most of the time for me it's small, simple changes that can have a huge, lasting effect. Things like praying more often. Things like an extra measure of patience. Things like soft answers and kind tones. I can adjust some of these things on my own. But the best part is that I have the perfect trainer who can see things from all angles and knows exactly what I need to change. And He's willing to tell me if I ask.
[Photo via flickr]

4 comments:
Great life lesson. So glad your knee adjustment made a difference, and loved your comparison to life.
Man, I bet it would be really enlightening to have someone watch me run and analyze what I am doing wrong. Who knew running was so technical?
Great insight Christina!
wow. i'm with miss...i had no idea you could do it "wrong"?!
what a wonderful parallel christina:)
Great parallel to life. I'm glad you're feeling better again!!
Post a Comment