Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Goodness


Lately I've been overwhelmed by a principle I've learned before, but it seems so clear all over again. Every person has trials. I know it seems so obvious, but sometimes I forget when the grass is looking so much greener or when my own burdens seem so heavy or when someone else's burdens seem unbearable that everyone has their own tests, their own trials of faith, their own refiner's fire that a loving Father in Heaven will lead them through. From the trials experienced currently by the Nielson's to friends dealing with natural disasters, dissolving marriages, money woes (be it a lack of money or an abundance which has led to pride), self-worth, family drama, health problems, it's all out there. But I've been amazed at the goodness that others have shown to all of those who suffer. $117,000 on NieNie Day? Amazing! Not to mention the provisions sent to those suffering through Ike and the kind words and strong shoulders offered to those whose trials may be less physical.

As I've been thinking about the Nielson's (multiple times a day) and the grace and strength shown by their family through this trial, I've been so touched. This post by Courtney sums it all up. Reading it again tonight for probably the 10th time still made me cry. This is how I want to live. Do I put my head down and just plow through my trials, or do I hold my head high and blossom in the experience? This morning the following quote came across my google reader. It said a lot of what I'm wanting to say.

"Tribulations are frightening. And yet the Lord said: 'Be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours." 'And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious' (D&C 59:7)."The kind of gratitude that receives even tribulations with thanksgiving requires a broken heart and a contrite spirit, humility to accept that which we cannot change, willingness to turn everything over to the Lord--even when we do not understand, thankfulness for hidden opportunities yet to be revealed. Then comes a sense of peace."When was the last time you thanked the Lord for a trial or tribulation? Adversity compels us to go to our knees; does gratitude for adversity do that as well?"President David O. McKay observed, 'We find in the bitter chill of adversity the real test of our gratitude . . . , which . . . goes beneath the surface of life, whether sad or joyous' (Pathways to Happiness, comp. Llewelyn R. McKay [1957], 318)."

Bonnie D. Parkin, "Gratitude: A Path to Happiness," Ensign, May 2007, 35 36

We have some friends who are just coming to the other side of a trial that has rocked them to the core. On Sunday Pat stopped me in the hall at church to let me know about progress they've made and exciting things happening for their family. We stood by the primary closets and cried together, so happy for the healing that has happened and the beautiful things that are able to happen for their family, rejoicing that they've made it through!

We all have trials. But where there are trials, there are opportunities to find the goodness in others, the goodness in ourselves, and the goodness in our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. And in all of the above, there is much goodness to be found.

{image via flickr}

4 comments:

Jan said...

I can't even tell you how much I loved this one. Such beautiful words, thoughts and feelings. Loved it -- thank you!

Hannah said...

It is true. With every trial we have had, Heavenly Father seems to care for us with an outpouring of blessing afterwards.

Sweet Post, Christina!

kristin said...

thanks so much for posting this - it is exactly what i am needing to read today. you are the best!

carey said...

This is one great post. I loved reading that post on Jane's blog as well. People ARE good and they always amaze me. Overall, they WANT to help and make this world a better place (I remind myself of this when I think the world is just going to pot...).

By the way, I would LOVE to meet you for pizza any time, my friend. :)