Friday, September 12, 2008

First Day!



I am so happy to be on this side of the first day of school- looking back reflecting on what a great day it was instead of looking ahead with great anticipation. Addie was about 80% excited for preschool, but 20% scared. She woke up the night before her first day with an hour long fit about not wanting to go to school the next day. I had a serious case of back to school jitters, knowing that she'd be great once she got through the first day, but not knowing if she'd have a breakdown at the drop off or handle it like a champ.When she woke up, she said, "Mom, is it tomorrow now? Is it my first day of school?" When I replied that it was, it lit a fire under her. I was planning to make pancakes, but she informed me that pancakes take too long and she needed a short breakfast so she'd have time to get ready. We'd laid out her clothes the night before and also taken a bubble bath and painted her toenails, so her getting ready was streamlined for Thursday morning. As soon as she finished breakfast she ran back to brush her teeth and then started to get dress while asking me to make her hair curly. We got ready post-haste, and even managed to take some pictures while waiting for James to come so they could walk to their first day together!

As soon as we entered the classroom, Addie sat down at a table with girls and doll houses and was on her way. She barely even said goodbye! I had great plans for what I'd do while she was at school, but I spent most of the time playing with Sam who is still miserable attempting to cut one more molar and all of his canines teeth.

When we picked her up she ran straight to me with arms outstretched and gave me a huge hug. It's amazing how much she grew up in two hours. She kept singing one line of a song they learned over and over and over ("I am really special" was the line, and I sure think she is!). She showed me the pictures she colored, told me the names of some new friends, talked about the fun toys she played with and the class pets and the playground in Miss Jennifer's backyard. What a great day it was!

I'm officially the mom of a preschooler, and it's so bittersweet. I'm so proud of her, but it's so hard watching my kids grow up.

5 comments:

Alison Alleman said...

How fun! Addie is such a CUTE little girl! It's so funny the things she says - I swear 3-year-olds usually don't think that deeply :) I'm glad you handled everything okay and the say was a success :)

Jan said...

I love it when they are so ready -- but I totally remember being the mom in the hallway crying while the child in the classroom was already well into the swing of things and having a ball. So glad it went well!

Melissa E Photography said...

aww, I can't believe she got so nervous and cared so much about her hair. She IS growing up! She looks ADORABLE!

tara said...

how FUN to actually see pictures of your kids christina. they look adorable...love the curls.

I hope sam's teeth hurry up and do their thing ASAP. that's NO FUN. NO FUN AT ALL:)

Heather said...

yes. It is hard to watch them grow up. One day you feel like it will never happen and the next day you wonder how you could've missed it. She is SO cute. You are such a good mom.