Sunday, December 12, 2010
Silent night
My house is quiet-sleeping kids, soft music, and a head full of thoughts are making my night lovely. This week I took Charlie to his 1 year check-up. I scheduled it while the other kids were at school so I didn't have to take everyone along. It was so nice to talk to the pediatrician about my baby without constant interruption. He wanted the update on our life as he's followed our progress over the past year balancing our crazy life. He stood back, cocked his head to the side, and sounded pleasantly surprised as he exclaimed, "You seem so calm! Maybe Christmas has come early to you- full of peace and joy." His nice words have stuck with me all week. So has the realization that I really do feel a calm this season. It's not for lack of busy-ness. I think instead I'm letting the stress roll off and letting go of the things that aren't happening. Christmas cards? Probably New Year's cards. I have Addie's birthday party to plan. Christmas shopping isn't finished, but I have ideas and know that it will all get done just like it does every year. And really, it's not what's most important. Pat is feeling better, and aside from renewed efforts to put a few pounds on him, he's doing well. My kids are happy and excited and learning and growing. My dad is progressing slowly but surely. I find myself worried about others going through major life storms instead of worried about my house being fully decorated. I didn't put everything up this year, and I'm not feeling guilty about choosing less so I can choose more of what's most important. Things are good here. All is calm, all is bright.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That was beautiful. I am so happy you are enjoying your sweet family and this wonderful time of year.
Post a Comment