Friday, December 17, 2010

Five on Friday

1.  I am seriously excited for Christmas break.  Not running back and forth to the school multiple times a day sounds lovely.  Having all my chicks at home sounds even more lovely.  Hoping the reality of the bickering doesn't burst my bubble too quickly, but a few days recently have given me hope.  Monday I took the kids to Williams-Sonoma.  So not a kid store, and I was nervous, but there was no other way, and as a total Christmas miracle, they were great.  It was a lovely day with them, so I'm hoping for more of those.

2.  Today I'm feeling crushed about the Provo Tabernacle fire.  I love that building.  I love the memories I have with Pat in that building while we were dating and then while we were newly-weds.  We were in a stake choir together while single that was beyond awesome, and we performed a Christmas concert there.  There was a BYU music guy who was called to just do our stake's music, and it was such a fun singing experience.  We went to the only stake conference there where I've ever had the sacrament at stake conference, and it was an incredible experience.  What a terrible loss in this beautiful landmark.  I truly hope they can salvage it or rebuild it to look like the original. 

3.  The Mary's Lullaby cd is by far my favorite Christmas music of the year (although look around, I think you can find it cheaper than the link I provided).  Mindy Gledhill's version of "In the Bleak Midwinter" has taken first place.  The last stanza of that poem/song has always struck a chord with me, but hearing her sing "what can I give him? Give my heart"  makes me tear up every time. 

4.   My kids have been making up their own share of songs lately.  Addie's been keeping her lyrics in a little notebook.  Any vowel sound is repeated and held out over again.  For example, her song "I love you" is really a 3 minute ditty because it's more like "I-i-i-i-i-i-i lo-o-o-o-o-o-ve you-ooh-ooh-ooh-ooh."  Sam's song this morning was entitled "I see a camel". I think his inspiration came from the nativity set on top of our piano. 

5.  I went to a fun blogger thing a few weeks ago courtesy of an invitation from Hannah.  I have a fun giveaway coming at the start of a new venture.  Can't wait to share.

Bonus- Tonight we're going to the Tabernacle choir Christmas concert.  Pat's mom is on the hosting committee and helps shuffle around guests and put together gift baskets among other things.  The guest for this year is David Archuleta, and when the hosting chair talked to his mom to find out some of his likes to put in the basket, his mom commented that he likes socks.  Rita happens to be knitting a lot of socks lately, so she knit him a pair for his basket.  I can't think about Rita's sock gift to David Archuleta without chuckling. 


Happy Weekend! 

1 comment:

Janell R. Cropper said...

Merry Christmas Break! :) We are going to be to the concert tonight too. Even though there will be a hundred zillion people there, it would be lovely to bump into you :)