Several months ago when Pat's aunt passed away, her daughter spoke powerful words at her funeral that have stuck with me. She remembered her mother as a virtuous woman who "looketh well to the ways of her household" (Proverbs 31:27), who let virtue garnish her thoughts unceasingly (Doctrine and Covenants 121:45), and who had courage and strength as she followed Christ (Proverbs 31:17). It was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman, full of grace and truth and beauty. Since that occasion, virtue has been in the back of my mind. As we were driving to Idaho I was trying to work on my upcoming Relief Society lesson and told him, "I think I'm going to teach on [insert long pause, tears, and squeaky voice] virtue." He's getting used to the increase of tears lately with the hormones (a few weeks ago at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple Open House I was trying to tell him that Kneader's baked all the cookies for the reception at the end and totally lost it), but this time they my emotion was justified as I'd truly been touched while studying about virtue. Today I had the opportunity to teach Relief Society on this topic.
Even in the past few weeks as I've been thinking more about virtue, it's been amazing some of the subtle changes I've seen. I've studied the many definitions of virtue, the numerous positive qualities embodied by a virtuous woman. I've thought of examples of virtuous women I've known, the kind of women that have magnetic personalities, not because they are seeking attention loudly, but because their quiet dignity is so welcoming. These are the women who seem to be nothing but goodness. Women who make you feel important and loved as soon as you are with them, and who leave you wanting to be better than you were before. Women who are bold in their testimonies and can stand up for right, but who don't go around shouting their message. Women who delight in their home and family and are motivated to do so by love. Women who are not distracted by things that don't really matter and always make time for things that matter most. There is nothing off-putting, only welcoming. There is nothing hard or harsh, but instead gentleness and tenderness. I loved this quote used in my lesson today.
“Virtue begins in the heart and in the mind. It is nurtured in the home. It is the accumulation of thousands of small decisions and actions.”
- Elaine S. Dalton, “A Return to Virtue,” Ensign, Nov 2008, 78–80
I am excited to embark on the return to virtue. Today we challenged all of the sisters in Relief Society to complete the
goals associated with virtue, and what a truly awesome program we're in for over the next 6 months. These are the changes I need to be making. Right now my greatest desire is to become a virtuous woman, but I know that it is truly that, a process of becoming.
3 comments:
Good thoughts. I've been a in state of hormonal irritation for the past week and I need to get over it- pregnant or not!
Why am I always gone the weeks you teach? You should definitely warn me ahead of time next time, so I can plan to be here!
I loved your lesson. I wish I felt more capable of becoming that type of woman, but step by step right? I'm glad I was able to make it to RS.
Post a Comment