Sunday, February 1, 2009

Things to remember from today...

-Although Addie and I have good days and bad, we've had a few really good ones lately. I've been trying to use more positive reinforcement and have realized it's much more successful than getting all worked up (imagine that!). Let me just say that when she's pleasant (and when I'm pleasant), we have a lot of fun together. This morning she came into bed with me after having a bad dream (Pat was already long gone for some early-morning work maintenance). I tried to sneak out of bed an hour later to start my shower, but she woke right up and asked if we could read scriptures together. After a section of the Doctrine and Covenants, she requested her favorite, "Mom, go to Luke chapter 2", and then we rounded it out with a little more New Testament. After we finished reading, she said "Mom, I feeled the Holy Spirit while we were reading the scriptures." I asked her how it felt, and she said, "Well, it didn't make me cry, it made me feel happy." She's often confused by my random crying in church, when singing primary songs, etc., but obviously my explanations that I'm crying because I'm happy and feeling the Spirit don't cut it with her.
-Sam is bigger than his body these days. You know those lurpy stages when kids seem to be going so fast but their body just isn't working with them? That's Sam right now. This kid is an accident waiting to happen. I can't count the number of times recently I've walked past him only to somehow have him get knocked over. I can't explain how he seemed to hit his head on the pew no less than 20 times today. The jury is still out on how he somehow tripped over his own feet and smacked his head squarely on Addie's bed frame this morning. He hasn't always been this clumsy, I think it's somehow tied together with a growth spurt or something. I just can't wait until he's back to normal.
-This evening was quite the comedy of errors. The kids were having a treat of frozen hot chocolate when somehow spontaneously they spilled their drinks all over the floor seconds apart. The timing was impeccable. Sam was upset because a lot of his landed on him, making him quite cold. Addie was disappointed that her treat was gone, but surprisingly didn't melt down. I couldn't stop laughing when I tried to pick up one of their cups and dropped it again. Pat didn't see the humor.
-Pat's aunt passed away last week. Addie still talks frequently about his uncle passing away several months ago, including a lot of made-up scenarios with imaginary friends that end in people dieing. I've been a lot more hesitant talking to her about everything this time, not wanting her to become even more concerned/thoughtful/focused on death (for lack of better words), but I finally decided to tell her. I realized that the gospel really has all the answers she needs, and I shouldn't be avoiding these kinds of topics with her. We'll see how she holds up after the viewing/funeral this week, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to go and celebrate the life of such a beautiful, sweet woman. I really admired this aunt of Pat's and will miss seeing her at family gatherings.
-We had a great time last week at the Draper temple open house. Addie's favorite rooms were the "baptize room and the sealing room." Sam was surprisingly reverent considering we were there during a portion of his nap time. The temple is beautiful. It was so neat to be able to go with our kids and share with them some of the sacredness and beauty that we are able to partake of when visiting. I can't wait to go do a session there.

This turned out to be longer than I thought, and blogger isn't working to upload my pictures- sorry for the lengthy text and nothing to break it up.

No comments: