I have to say although this Christmas was packed full, it was great. Christmas Eve was a nice quiet night by ourselves, and I managed to peel myself away from truffle making, present wrapping, and next day prep for some good quality time reading some traditional Luke 2 and the beautiful new Night Before Christmas book we received- a cut-paper edition that is just exquisite. After special baths, new jammies, our fireplace turned on, and our reading by the Christmas tree, the kids went to bed and I stayed up cooking and cooking and cooking and wrapping followed by a little more cooking. I fell into bed totally exhausted, and luckily the kids were tired too and slept in a little. We didn't start presents until around 8:15 the next morning! We received some great gifts this year from our wonderful families. I am so pleased with the gift cards I received- trips to Nordstrom, the movies, the spa, and dinner at Sundance will be enjoyed in the near future! We also received a nice check, I got the oh so soft red robe from bath and body works, the fabric and pattern book I posted about earlier, and other miscellaneous items.
We woke up Christmas morning, did gifts, then worked on brunch preparation for my mom, step dad, and step bro and step sis to come over. I made seriously delicious maple-vanilla french toast, bacon, and some fruit. As soon as they left we were out the door to Pat's parents' house for more presents. We left there and made it back to our house to pick up lots of food, and then headed to my sister-in-law's sister's house for our 26 person Christmas dinner. It was so fun. The food was delicious. I made my guitar hero debut, and loved it! I only wish I would've had more time to rock the house. Finally at 9:30, we returned home, put away a little bit of the Christmas clutter, and called it a night.
The greatest blessings were spending time together and taking time to reflect on the birth of the Savior. As frustrated as the gift-giving aspect can be picking out the perfect things without getting wrapped up in the commercialism, I really tried to focus on the symbolic reasons why we give gifts- in memory of the Savior's birth. He has given us the ultimate gift and shown us the greatest love, but we can give gifts in that same spirit- giving a small portion of our love and a representation of our love for the Savior. Oh, Christmas- what a beautiful holiday you are, full of meaning, tradition, and joy.
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I loved your thoughts about Christmas -- you have such a nice way with words. You said exactly what I wanted to say, only better! Sounds like a lovely family time for you guys.
sounds so fabulous! merry, merry christmas!
Merry Christmas to you! Sounds like you had such a great day. Props to you for making it so fun and memorable for your family.
Christina, your Christmas sounds absolutely delightful-- and made extra lovely by your mindfulness of the things that really count. Merry Christmas!
Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas. I am home now and can't wait for our get-together!
So glad you had a nice Christmas!!!! I agree with Jan - you have such a nice way with words. :)
We are meant to be blogging buddies. You know how I know this? That version of Twas the Night Before Christmas is currently on its way to be from Amazon. I didn't have it for CHristmas, but I snagged it before I forgot about it. So happy to read it is as good as it looks online.
Post a Comment