Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Novice...

I'm what you would call a novice when it comes to sewing. I can sew on a button. I sewed ribbons on Sam's burp cloths, so I can sew a straight line, although the pedal action on the sewing machine probably seemed like I was in driver's ed. My greatest sewing exposure came in my 7th grade home ec class. The teacher was Mrs. Furr. However, to her, she was Mrs. Furry-wurry and everything was cutesy-ootsy and she was enough to drive this 12 year old to a deep dislike for sewing. Over the years, especially the past few, I've decided maybe it wasn't sewing I disliked, just Mrs. Furr. Come on, how useful was my mandatory locker organizer project (although may I add that to give it a little flair, my friend Lauren Cavanaugh and I traded our pockets so mine was white with black pockets and hers was black with white pockets- so forward thinking and trend-setting at such a tender age). In one of my many storage closets (one of my favorite features of my house) sits my mom's archaic sewing machine. It actually used to belong to my grandma, but after my parents got divorced, my mom left if for my dad, and he gave it to me. The thing probably weighs 50 pounds easily, so I don't get it out much. Neither did my mom. We'd sit around and eat popcorn like we were at a show when the sewing machine came out. I'm not really sure about the mechanics of how it operates, so I'd need a crash course from my mom. But back to me. I've snooped other blogs enough to see some things encouraging me to sew. I'll list my reasons.
1. There are some adorable online fabric stores, and you know I can't resist online shopping, or really any shopping for that matter.
2. I've seen some projects that have made me think, hey, maybe I could do that. I may be reduced to tears before I find out maybe not, but it could be fun to learn a new skill.
3. Isn't sewing an essential part to self-reliance, a mandatory skill for a good LDS woman? Maybe I could fit in more with the average age group of 60-somethings in my ward if I was a sewer.
4. It's July, and I've already had the desire to start some Christmas shopping, but if I want to be really thoughtful/creative/inspiring this year in my gift-giving and I start now, then maybe I could MAKE presents. Ambitious, I know, especially for a beginner.

So, what do you think. Is it doable? I'm thinking I want to make purses for my mom, MIL, and SIL. Maybe I could scale it down and make one for Addie. Math I can do, so how hard could that be? But I think I may need a new sewing machine. I can't imagine pulling out the relic every time I miraculously get both kiddos to nap for the same window of time and have a few minutes to live it, I mean sew it up. Help me you crafty souls. I feel nervous. I feel frightened. I feel a glimmer of hope. Sewing: Mission Impossible?

4 comments:

jeremyandleslie said...

I love your blog - you are an excellent writer! Good luck with the sewing thing. I am of absolutely no use to you - I hate sewing. I was kicked out of a sewing class when I was 12 for being "too stupid." Ya, she was a good teacher. Just because I sewed the pocket where the crotch was in my pair of shorts. Gee whiz.
I just read that you used to teach history...I was a history major as well and was going to teach it but then I ended up teaching seminary instead... Crazy.

Christina said...

Honestly Leslie- we have parallel lives. I totally thought about teaching seminary, and there are parts in my patriarchal blessing that have made me think maybe teaching seminary would help to fulfill them. Both of our husbands are computer geeks. I'm sure we'll only continue to find similarities! Or maybe that's where they stop ;)

Mrs. Walker said...

I had the same experience in jr. high....but my cousin and I made hot pants. Yes. that's right. bell-bottomed hot pants for gym that were a size too small for me and I quickly tore a hole in the crotch. Yes. That is the end of my sewing ability.

Right now I have an apron that I have yet to finish. How long you say? A month. But then again, I don't own my own machine...

Lupe said...

I'm in the same boat. I've got giant floor pillows giving me dirty looks to make them some cases. I've got to take sewing lessons!