Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fizzled Out

That's what happened to my weekend. After our big anniversary celebration Friday, the weekend definitely fizzled out. Sam woke up around 6:30 yesterday and decided he didn't want to go back to sleep, so I had an early start to the day after a late night. This body doesn't do well with only 5 hours of sleep, but I decided to try to get some energy and make up for the extreme overeating I've done over the last 2 weeks, so I went on a walk. It wasn't very long, but I did start to feel a little winded by the end. There is a lot of building going around by us, so I was hoping to do some self-guided tours of the newly framed houses, but unluckily for me, there were crews there working away on a Saturday! We kind of had a lazy Saturday morning after my walk, but I was hoping we would try to get some yard work done and make my IKEA trip when Patrick asked if it would be ok for him to attend a LAN party. Knowing that I'd had a few times out with SIL and other girlies lately, I reluctantly agreed. I was actually grateful to get a good afternoon nap with the kids, but after that I was hoping he'd be home in time to make my IKEA dreams come true. Alas, they will have to wait for another day.
We ended up going over to see his parents last night. Considering his dad had brain surgery Monday, he's looking really good. My hairdresser (can I even say that, it sounds so dated! maybe hair stylist...hair doer...hair goddess?) Jenny came over and evened out his half shaved head, and he looked a lot better. Let me say, you can't hold the man back. He mowed the lawn yesterday. It drives me nuts that MIL doesn't place more restrictions, but my advice doesn't seem to matter. She's dragging him to Moab next Monday because some of her family's coming to town, and they had already planned the trip before the whole surgery thing happened. I could go on and on, but I'll spare you the details. Anyway, he's doing well, and Addie told him his "owie is so silly". I think he got a kick out of that.
Today was the dreaded young women reporting back on girl's camp sacrament meeting. I have to say, I usually despise this meeting. It's fraught with irreverence, inside jokes, travelogues, and giggling. But today, the young women in our ward proved me wrong. They were assigned to speak on spiritual experiences they had at girl's camp, and they did a great job! There were only a few vague references to camp jokes, and it was mostly girls bearing testimony about their love of nature, how awesome it is to have their testimonies grow, things they learned while studying their scriptures, it was really quite impressive, all things considered.
Tonight my mom and step-dad came over for a little while to see the grandkids. I was actually wishing they'd come a different day, because Addie was being a beast. We had a knock-down-drag-out fight over eating dinner (I can't blame her for not wanting to eat it, it wasn't my best work and I frankly didn't want to eat it, but sometimes we have to eat things we don't like...I'm such a mean mom!) that involved 3 trips to her bedroom for time-outs. Pat and I also have differing styles when it comes to situations like this, so it ends up being rather unpleasant at our house. He tends to be the champion of justice, while I try to remind him that she's 2 and maybe calls for a little mercy. It's a hard balancing act. Sam went to bed while they were here and has woken up no less than 5 times since. I think he's gassy or something, but he's a wreck. Hopefully he'll stay asleep through the night, because I definitely need the rest.
So there you have it. My highly uneventful, nothing-to-write-home-about (so maybe I shouldn't have even blogged about it) weekend. I sure hope my life perks up soon, or I'll lose the small readership I'm working to gain :) Here's to a new, feeling good, full of fun week!

4 comments:

House of Joy said...

You are not a lamo blogger!!!!

In this crazy world of drama and trauma…It is comforting, reassuring and refreshing to read about the every day life of good people doing good things…
It is like reading a book you enjoy….You look forward to each new chapter…

You are setting a wonderful example for all .


Sweet thing to do for your father in law..

What a night!!!!!
Your children are so adorable and no matter how much havoc they cause right now…They are going to be amazing and wonderful adults….Just don’t count on a lot of sleep between now and then…

Lupe said...

I second the YW after camp madness. So relieved to hear it turned out better than you (or I) thought. Your weekend sounded far from fizzled. More like fizzy full!!

Melissa E Photography said...

Your blog is so cute! Love it!

I totally hear you on the justice vs. mercy thing. My little boy isn't even two and my hubby is saying things like, "we need to make sure he doesn't throw things, say NO!, etc.) Hello? He's 22 mo. old! Oh well!

What an awesome testimony meeting! My memories of girls camp involve girls saying, "I really DO like all of you," and "Sorry I was so mean!"

And I like to say... hair cutter lady

Christina said...

mel-
Can I add you to my blogging friend list? I thought maybe I should ask before making it official :)