Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday, Monday...NOT so good to me...

Today was quite the challenging day. Let me just say, having a 2 year old is quite an...adventure. Addie and I have had some struggles lately in the obedience/kindness department, but over the last month things had really improved. Then I voiced that out loud to Patrick, and of course, I was cursed again. Today she accomplished the following: broke her bed-rail guards which keep her from falling out, and fell out in the process of breaking them, bit me, threw her toys, cried for probably at least an hour if you add it all up, and successfully wore me out. Ah, the joys of having a toddler. Before you think she's a demon child, let me clarify that she really can be a gem. She can be so tender, so obedient, so happy and clever, and quite a joy. Today was just not one of those days. We did have a few bright spots. After a totally terrible morning, I needed to make it to Costco, so I braved it there hoping to turn her behavior around because she is in LOVE with Costco. She calls the refrigerated section the "coldy place" and begs to go there. So we did a quick trip through the coldy place, picked up other needed items, and even enjoyed a quick lunch consisting of a hot dog and ice cream. And she was perfectly well behaved while we were out. The meltdown began again at nap time. It took over an hour before she finally gave in to the exhaustion (it was during this hour that she broke her bed rails). Tonight after Pat got home, she brightened up again. We did yard work for FHE and she rode on the lawnmower with Pat, helped me pull weeds, wandered around, talked to the horses that live behind our yard, and enjoyed being outside. The powers of distraction are strong, why can't I remember that when in the heat of the moment?
Let me make a quick list of things I love about Addie:
1. Her curly hair. I've never known the joys of this on my own hair, so I quite enjoy it with hers.
2. Hearing her pray. She's in that wonderful grateful for everything stage, so when we can convince her to pray, it's so fulfilling.
3. Her tastes in food (most of the time). She's been begging daily for pork tacos lately. We had them last week, but I don't blame her. I want them everyday too. Maybe I'll make them again this week. I love me some pork tacos.... oh yeah, back to Addie...
4. Her speaking abilities. She's so funny as she's learned to talk more. Some of my favorite things she says include "Push it out, Sam". You can guess what Sam is doing when she says that. "I love you very much" with emphasis on the very much. "I miss you" even when I'm sitting right next to her. "Tickle me again." She's getting so excited to go to school someday, so she talks about it all the time, and recently she said at school she'd go to sleep. When I told her you don't usually go to sleep at school, she said "Mom, tell me the truth about school." Where does she come up with this stuff? She also asks all the time "Ok, mama?" to check on my well-being. The list could go on...
5. Her musicality. Since a young age, she's been singing. Her pitch is amazing, and she's been able to carry a tune remarkably well. Before she could talk, I'd ask her to sing me what song she wanted me to sing, and she'd hum it and I could instantly tell what she wanted. These days it's hilarious to hear her sing along to the musicals she's loving. Hearing her sing "I am 16 going on 17" or "The best things happen while you're dancing" or "Just a spoonful of sugar" brings joy to my heart. She'll also sit down at the piano to play and she can often find an octave. Honestly, the prodigy I'm raising ;)
So yes, I do love my daughter "very much" as she would say, and I'm glad I just took time to remind myself.
Tomorrow we're having the Enrichment book club group at my house. Holy hannah, why did I volunteer for that one. That means tomorrow will be a grumpy day involving me frantically cleaning my house in between changing diapers, feeding my kids, and taking care of other mom jobs. I'll let you know how it goes. So see you back here tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I keep seeing your comments on random blogs and wondering where you're familiar from...It's like a light bulb went on lol...I'm from mc too (luvmy2cuties)...Love your blog, it's so cute!

House of Joy said...

Reading about Addie made me laugh out loud!!! Don’t worry, there is a strong and noble spirit growing in that little body! Gotta love spunk!!!!

Word of warning about letting your children listen to Musicals…Watch out for My Fair Lady…Loved that one till my then two year old son in front of company belted out.. “ Da** Da** Da** I’ve grown accustomed to her face…”

Christina said...

You girls make me laugh. Thanks for making the connection, Andrea! And Casa, I can just picture your look of horror at your son's performance. What a hoot!