Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sweet Freedom

Let's talk about how excited I am that Sam gets his cast off tomorrow. May 17th was a bad day. Seriously bad. I had one of the hardest conversations of my life and it did not go well. It sent me reeling. Finally we got the kids to bed and Pat and I went to the garage to chat and tighten Addie's bike handlebars. My dad came out and said he thought Sam fell. We raced in to find him crying, but he calmed down and went to sleep. He'd slipped and fallen while trying to climb the bunk bed ladder. The next morning he came crawling out, but was happy. He proceeded to not put weight on it all morning, so we went to the doctor. I figured it was just to make sure, but doubted the possibility of a break. We got x-rays and headed home with the directions that they'd call if we needed to come back in. I heard from them after the lunch break with the news that Sam had a buckle fracture at the bottom of his tibia. So May 17th was topped off by Sam breaking his leg, although we didn't find out until the next day. Sam was a trooper getting his splint, and then three days later his cast. He's been running around and hasn't let the cast slow him down. But I think it's worn him out to lug it around. He fell asleep at the dinner table on day one with his cast. When he got his cast, the doctor found that Sam had another ear infection. He's been on antibiotics since, and I'm crossing my fingers that when we go in tomorrow he'll be ear infection free. Sadly, I don't think he is. Tubes, round two, here we come. But at least we'll be cast free!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

That kid is amazing. I couldn't help but laugh in amazement as he ran around with the other kids. He can keep up! So glad he gets it off today!