Thursday, June 10, 2010

Fifteen on Friday


1. This week our dishwasher broke. It was filled with standing water when the cycle was complete. We bailed out the stinky water but when attempting to take it apart to repair it, we knew we'd break it getting the cheap plastic pieces out, so that was the end of that. We've never loved this dishwasher, although it's the first one we've owned since getting married. I'm excited to have a new, quiet model that actually cleans dishes. I'm not excited about the unexpected expense. Living without a dishwasher when preparing food all day for six people really feels like roughing it- a testament to just how spoiled I am by modern conveniences, I suppose. Feel free to share your appliance recommendations.

2. Sam's cast is off, but his walking is frustrating. He was honestly getting around a lot better with the cast on. I'm sure it's a big adjustment to walk normally again, but I'm tired of hauling around 30 pounds of 3 year old and 20 something pounds of 6 month old.

3. I thought I'd been getting stuff done all week, but the busy-ness of this weekend has descended upon me and I'm a little surprised at all I still have left to do. So glad Pat's home tomorrow so I have a prayer of getting things done.

4. Tonight I finally hung some family pictures. I can't tell you how excited this makes me. I'd like to thank 3M, Ikea, Target, and all family photographers over the last 5 years for making it happen.
5. Addie and I have high hopes of making this project together. I was hoping for a pennant style bunting, but she had her hopes set on this scalloped edge. We've already picked out fabric from my stash and I'm excited with our choices. With tomorrow's to-do's I don't know if we'll finish before our pictures Saturday, but I'm going to try. And I may call in reinforcements via Pat's mom to sew with me.

6. Summer is soothing my soul, I must say. Being outside more has been fantastic, and regularly scheduled fun is helping me shake off some of the stress that's been brewing for a while.

7. Speaking of summer, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I really want to get out of it. I want my kids to learn to work, and summer seems to be just the time for projects and chores and that kind of thing. At the same time I want summer to be relaxing and fun-filled and lazy. Pondering how to find a balance- feel free to share your thoughts on the subject.

8. I'm itching for a yard sale. The amount of stuff that has accumulated has got to go. Some extra pocket change would be nice, and then what's left is still going- straight to D.I.
9. Relief Society meeting is scheduled for next week. A trip to Xpedx is on the weekend agenda for adorable picnic supplies. The details are so fun. Maybe something adorable like this on top of our brown paper bags filled with picnic dinner?

10. I went to a fab Relief Society class on yeast this week. Excited to try a new pizza crust recipe which I very much enjoyed eating last night. When home made pizza tastes that good, there's really no need to buy it again.

11. My garden died. Or so I thought. Darn the cold weather that's plagued us this spring. I think my tomato plants may just be Lazarus. The leaves are still brown, but the stalk has been greening up. I'm not replanting tomatoes until I'm sure what's going to happen. Peppers, squash, and zucchini, are all gone for good, I'm sure.

12. Let it be known that on Thursday, June 10th, all 3 children napped. Some of it was at the same time. And there was much rejoicing.

13. The swing set is complete! Ground should all be ready soon to be prepped for rubber mulch, and then curbing, and then done. The kids are loving their new hideout, and I can't wait to have one more project crossed off the list. Hopefully then the rest of the yard can get some much needed attention.

14. We've been pulling out the summer recipes lately and I can't get enough. I love meals that feel so seasonal. I made my first batch of potato salad of the season, and it totally hit the spot. Berries are making their way to the table at most meals. Love!

15. Hope this weekend is filled with awesomeness for you! Wedding reception, house projects, family pictures, and a birthday party will keep us plenty busy.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I'm so loving summer -- life has been way too busy here too!

We bought a wonderful new Kitchenaid dishwasher at Lowe's (right before we moved, of course -- and now we have one that will probably need to be replaced soon. But at least we know what to buy!) that was pretty much nearly silent and worked SO well. Check them out for sure!

Happy weekend to you!

Hannah said...

Hate our new dishwasher, so I don't have a recommendation for you. Good luck picking out a new one!

Can't wait to see you family pictures!